Goodbye

Painfully, Amara watches through her bedroom balcony, the supercars that all arrived outside the palace and lined up one by one in order to pick up the ICT, to take them to the airport.  

No one was seen outside just yet, as everyone was still bidding their goodbyes and having a small farewell downstairs. Amara feels her face heat up as Shefali comes into her room. 

"Arey! Amu what is this yaar? Everyone's almost about to go and you haven't even finished packing??" Sheali says. "Ma'am - I'm talking to you" She laughs, snapping two fingers in front of her eyes when Amara still is leaning over the balcony railing, her hair blowing in the gentle wind. The clouds are slightly grey, like it's about to rain. 

"You go... I'll come-"

"Nope, I'm helping you pack." She runs to he wardrobe and quickly helps her pack her bag and zips it up. "There we go." Sheali shakes her hands and to her surprise, Amara runs up to her and hugs her tightly, rocking slightly. "Hey... babe" Sheali rubs her back before pulling back. "I'm gonna miss you too!" She laughs. 

Amara tries to smile. "I'm going to miss you way more than you'll miss me." She chuckles.

"fight me on that." 

"Oh I will, don't you worry." The duo walk downstairs hand in hand, chit chatting. Who knows when they'll meet next. 

Amara and Shefali watch everyone hugging and thanking Tara or the wonderful stay, teary eyed. Shefali wipes her eyes as she hugs Tara. Just 2 days ago the same hall was so happy and joyous, and now it's filled with a quietness and uncomfortable tranquility as everyone goes back to their ordinary lives from now on. 

"Let's go meet the boys." Shefali drags Amara who is rather reluctant as she spots Hardik talking with the others. How badly she wants to meet him, but she'd rather not cry in front of everyone. She fears she won't be able to let him go. 

"Come!" Shefali says again, almost running to Hardik, and tapping him on his shoulder. He looks at them in surprise, his eyes immediately falling upon Amara even though it's Shefali who tapped him.

"I'm going to miss you." Shefali pulls him into a hug. His hands linger around her waist, not touching it as he looks over her shoulder towards Amara who is standing with a grieving face, watching them hug. He pulls out of the hug soon, and looks down towards the floor, not knowing quite what to say. 

He smiles briefly at Shefali who continues talking to him before returning to his sad face. 

"I'll go see Tara now." Shefali leaves, much to Amara's disappointment as it's just them two, alone, in a corner with an uncomfortable distance between them.

"So err... I guess this is goodbye?" Hardik shrugs and looks to the side with a smile after an awkwardly long silence. He bites his bottom lip as he gulps. If she can't travel, surely they can't be together. Long distance relationships are a thing, but rarely work out, and with Hardik being the flirt he is, it's just better to call it quits. 

 "Thanks for teaching me how to hold a bat." Amara says out of the blue, with a laugh. Hardik laughs unbelievably and they both look down at their feet, not knowing what to say. 

"Thanks for the memories." Hardik says quietly, obviously quite too much for Amara, whose face scrunches up as she lets out the tears she had been holding back for too long. 

"Areeyyy..." Hardik mumbles and hugs her. 

"Try to forget me." Amara says.

His smile fades. "Never."

"Hardik please. It's better for the both of us." Amara manages to say even though he comes close to her and begins to rub her shoulders. She closes her eyes as she takes in the experience of his touch; the last time she'd ever feel it. 

"fine, if only you tell me you don't like it when I do this. Or this." His voice is barely above a whisper as his grip on her gets stronger, like he doesn't want to let go of her. Amara shakes. 

"Tell me you don't like this." He runs his fingers down her lips and chin, his eyes following his movement. 

"Or this." His voice is now hoarse as he pulls her so tightly and squeezes her waist, his fingers upon her skin send sparks and butterflies through her diaphragm, only making her cling to him tighter, which is what he wanted. 

Amara fears this; she has to forget it. However much she enjoys this, she has to learn to live without it. 

"Hardik please, let me go." She tries to back out, but he only pulls her closer. Their lips touch and they kiss passionately when:

"Harry! Kaha ho-" Mahi Bhai's voice sounds. 

They break apart quickly as Mahi Bhai comes through the curtains. He stops and looks at both of them in surprise. Thank God he didn't see anything. "Hardik?" He says, slightly confused, almost like he interrupted something. 

"Err... She - I... She wanted my autograph." Hardik says. "I was giving it..." He doesn't meet Mahi's eyes. Amara wishes she could smile but her sorrow overpowered. 

"Just saying we're going.." Mahi nods awkwardly and leaves. 

Amara and Hardik exchange glances one last time and even before she has a chance to say something, he leaves her. Amara looks down at her feet. That's it. She ended it. What else was she expecting? A busy and successful cricketer to negotiate with her for her to be with him? She said something; he agreed, although she regrets it seconds later. That was their last meeting ever - and it went in vain. It ended bitterly, but probably the way it should have ended from the start. A medical student with a bitter past and a cricketer with a bright future can never be together. Never.

A/N: A sad chappie to write. It's hard leaving people you love at times. On a happier note, thank you all with the response to this book but don't really know - is it enjoyable? Please let me know whether you want this to be continued? Thank youu ly x