Mum and Dad

It's 2 am, and I'm sitting on the floor, leaning against the foot of my bed, with my legs swayed to one side, still crying.

I hear a knock in my door to which I respond immediately.

"DJ, aap? Iss waqt?" I try to smile although I don't even know what sounds are coming out of my mouth at this point."

"Tash beta, you haven't eaten anything since evening. Have something." She holds up a beautifully made plate in front of me. She walks into my room and places it on the bedside table, pulling me towards it. I eye it slightly and look away.

"I'm really not hungry, DJ." I say in my croaky voice.

"Darling, you have to eat something. Or else you'll fall ill. You've travelled such a long way, eat it. Okay at least have the dhokla. I made it just for you." She flashes her sweet smile, making me laugh.

She strokes my hair as I eat the dhokla in minuscule bites. She waits with me until I finish my food and puts my plate into the kitchen, handing me a glass of water, which I gulp down.

"DJ I can't believe you waited till 2 am just for me." I hold her hand and give it a small kiss.

"Anything for my baccha." She hugs me and tucks me in as I sleep. I sense the light switch off and I drift off into a deep sleep.

💗

AMARA'S POV:

"Amara ma'am!! Amara ma'am!" DJ calls me.

"Kya hua?"

"Natasha beta is still in bed. It's 11 am now."

"So? She had a long flight, she must be tired. Why are you all worrying?" I enter Natasha's room to see maa and DJ standing either side of a sleeping Natasha, exchanging worried glances. I look at them in confusion, with my angry brows as I still cannot believe my own daughter did what she did.

One hour goes by and Natasha is still in bed.

"She's usually an early bird, I wonder what's gotten into her today? She's slept for a solid 14 hours." I mumble to myself.

"Maybe she's lost in her happy dreams about being with her dad." I shake my head and laugh sarcastically.

"Natasha. Uttho ab. Back to reality now." I whip the duvet off her.

"Natasha?" I look at her confused as she doesn't even stir or make any movement. I sit beside her and place my palm on her forehead.

"Natasha? You have a fever." I whisper to myself. I quickly get out my first aid kit and use a thermometer to check her temp.

"It's a fever." I say to Maa as she comes into the room, worriedly.

"I knew something was wrong. Amara why did you have to shout at her yesterday? The poor child is now sick. Bechari - I don't know what time she slept yesterday."

"Maa please. It'll reduce in some time. Calm down. I'll just give her some medication."

I sit Natasha up in bed as I place a pull into her mouth, but before I can even put the tablet in, she vomits all over the bed, before passing out.

"Oh my God." I get up quickly.

"DJ, bring some old cloth or something."

"Kya hogaya Natasha ko?!" Maa begins worrying. "Oh my Gosh?!"

"Maa please, it's a medical emergency." I call an ambulance as we don't have our own car and we go to the hospital. I sit, clasping Natasha's hand in mine with tears in my eyes. All I ever intended was giving my kids independence and everything else that I had lost in my marriage. Perhaps she's too young to realise who actually loves her and comprehend the magnitude of my care for her.

"My poor child." I kiss Natasha's forehead who is unconsciously lying on the stretcher, tears streaming down my cheeks. I instantly regret whatever bullshit I said yesterday.

As she is moved to the emergency ward where she is supplied with an oxygen mask, I wonder what on earth happened to her so suddenly.

"Has she had any surgeries lately?" The nurse asks me, making me jump.

"Yes. Yes, oh my gosh - just 3 weeks ago." I realise it could be complications with that.

"The lightheadedness and nausea is aggrevated by that. She's not responding to the medication we're giving right now so we can't promise anything. The surgery has made some complications."

I feel nauseous myself as I hear this. I'm never going to forgive Hardik. He was the one who hit her with the ball, he was the one responsible for the surgery. If he hadn't hit her Tash would be responding to the medication.

"Maa, why couldn't you tell me earlier it was Hardik who hit her that day?! We could have filed a complaint!" I scream at maa.

"He didn't do it on purpose! And Amara, just calm down! Look - Natasha's sick."

"Maa, I don't get why you always side with Hardik? I'm your daughter, he isn't related to you anymore."

Before maa can say anything I can hear Natasha stirring.

"D..dad."

My hopeful face turns into a face of horror and shock. Why on earth is she saying dad?

I clench my fists in anger.

"Amara, she wants her dad." Maa says, coming and standing in front of me. "Keep your differences aside for now. Call Hardik. Now."

"No. We can manage without him." I say stubbornly, turning around and looking out the window.

My mother swings me around by the arm so I'm facing her forcefully. "Your daughter is fighting between life and death, and you're worried about having to merely talk to Hardik? Grow up!" Maa dials his number and pushes the phone against my ear. I sigh and realise I have no other option.

Natasha needs her dad; she needs Hardik. That's the least I could do for her.

The phone rings and gets disconnected. I call him again and again, however he doesn't pick up.

"Dekh liya? That egoistic and stuck up man isn't even answering my calls? Can't he realise the fact that I've called him 6 times means an emergency?"

Suddenly, I hear my phone ringing. Great. A missed call from Hardik.

I dial him immediately, and it's now the second time I heard his voice this year.

"Hello?" I say with a look of disgust.

"What?"

"My daughter is in hospital. She wants her dad to be with her."

There's a long pause before Hardik says anything.

"I hope Natasha is okay."

"Well she's obviously not is she? The fact that I'm having to call you as a last resort really says something about her health."

"Why would your daughter want me there anyway, she's your daughter am I right?" Hardik says harshly.

"Hardik, I don't want to argue. Nor am I interested in seeing you here. I care about my daughter and perhaps you don't, so this is the least I can do."

"Is she... critical?" He asks quietly.

"Are you coming to India or not?"

Another pause.