Accustoming to Alcohol

"So you were the one Hardik took to the hospital the other day?! What a coincidence!" Rohit says. The others look at him as we are all huddled in the dressing room while dad isn't here. They sent him to collect a form from Ravi uncle.

"And you guys already know you're related and stuff?" KL adds.

"Yes. But he's not talking to me." I look down as my voice quivered. The last thing I want to do is cry in front of the cricket team.

"Awh Tash, don't take it to heart. He still loves you. I remember us two dreaming about all of your firsts together; your first day of school, college, your wedding..." KL laughs as he recollects all these memories, placing an arm on my back.

"I don't think so. He wasn't even happy after finding me after 20 years." I say quietly, although KL's words brings a smile to my face.

"Your mum and him had a deal. He wasn't allowed to meet you, ever. She wanted you to stay away from him like he wanted Mum to stay away from Advait." Virat informs, packing his things into his bag.

I wipe my tears. "I need to speak to Advait. Can you guys bring him somehow."

"Why don't we all talk to him?" Bhuvi suggests.

"But how? Like we can't just go up to him and say hey this is your sister, hug!" Rishabh imitates a high pitched voice.

"Rish is right boys, and how do we know he's not just going to zone out and isolate himself after this in desperation to meet his mother? Hardik will feel like such a failure if Advait suddenly wants to meet Amara." Rohit says.

Rishabh starts taking his jersey top off to change as he is sweating but Rohit grabs his arm.

"Bhai, ladki hain yaha pain..."

There are some chuckles around the room, and I can't help but laugh. "No it's okay. I'm used to it."

"How? I mean - is there any male living at your house?"

"Err... no - I ..." I stutter at the thought of telling them I have a boyfriend. However I don't want them to think I'm hiding anything so I just decide to go ahead with it.

"I have a boyfriend." I nod, as I hope I've articulated it correctly - probably not.

"Ooooo... Tash is all grown up." Shikhar teases.

Rohit and Virat laugh. "Okay then. Just making sure Amara didn't remarry or..."

"No - she didn't." I clarify firmly with a smile.

"Guys! I have a great plan." Jasprit says excitedly, standing up from the dressing room bench.

"Kya?"

All heads turn to him as he begins explaining. "Tonight is the series win celebration at the Kempinski hotel. Why doesn't Natasha come there? She'll meet Advait and Hardik."

"But they don't allow fans to come with cricketers. And we can't even say she's related to one of us or else rumors will start again and Hardik will just get angry." Bhuvi says as everyone groans.

"Hm... ek kaam karte hain-" Virat strokes his beard.

"You can come to the after party. It's just us, Ravi Sir and a few other guys." He says after some thought. "I'll give you the ticket right now. Lo, voh email bhej."

KL reaches into his pocket for his phone and immediately begins emailing him the e-ticket for permission for the after party.

"And don't worry - you won't be the only girl there. Our wives will be there. They all know you even if you don't, so please don't feel uncomfortable!" Virat pulls my cheek gently as he sees me watching them in slight hesitation.

I'm sorry, Mum. I can't imagine you knowing that I've not only met dad, but Advait and all his teammates, the very people you were trying to keep me away from.

I shake away my anxious thoughts and look forward to the party. It was my chance to meet my brother.

💗

Hardik sits at the bar with a solemn face, both hands clasped tightly around his drink, while everyone around him is dancing on the dance floor or talking with each other. His eyes are glued ahead as he recalls seeing his daughter, in the hospital.

Meanwhile he signals with one finger to the bartender to give him some shots. 3 shots, and Hardik's eyes turn a pale shade of red; his pupils still fixed on one point in the room.

His daughter Natasha's face is ruling over his mind: those same hazelnut colored eyes which resemble Amara, the same silky long dark brown hair that blew gently in the wind, the same beauty spot on her neck. Hardik asks for a whole bottle this time from the bar tender. He winces at the slightly warm taste, drinking it unwillingly nonetheless - the memory of his daughter's face not fading, but in fact getting stronger with each drop of the alcohol. She is etched into his memory; after 20 years. Amara's memory makes a comeback into his life - just what he didn't want.

"Hi Hardik..." a sultry voice sounds from behind him as his head turns slightly at the female voice. A woman's fingers snake over his shoulders as she tries to reach into the top of his chest. Hardik grabs her hand suddenly, making her gasp, and brushes it off his skin. He goes back to his drink.

"Mujhse nahi bologe?" The sweet voice sounds again.

"Avantika." Hardik says in a slow, dominating voice, slightly drunk. He lets a sarcastic laugh slip as he rotates on his seat, turning to face her. His alcohol filled eyes don't meet hers. Somehow he knows from her touch it's her.

"Hey." She says, barely above a whisper, trying to lean into him, however he doesn't look at her, rather continues to gaze at the reflection of the lights in his drink.

Avantika's seductive smirk is followed by her hands reaching into his hair and brushing through it, however she backs off as he gives an unsatisfied groan and pushes her hand off.

She laughs. "Your hair is plausible today." She fixes her saree which is slightly shuffled. Hardik cocks an eyebrow and looks her up and down, observing her heavily made up face displaying an impressed expression and her thin stomach which she exposed as she bust her chest.

"That's no excuse for you to touch it." Hardik smiles sorrowfully. "When you're so soft yourself." Hardik grabs her wrist and pulls her closer to him, running his eyes down her hands which he has gripped as she smirks, enjoying him so close to her.

"Care to dance?" He pushes her into him before she can even answer so he can grip her tightly on her waist. She places her hands on his chest as they rock gently, as she fiddles with his top button that is undone with a seductive look.

This short romance is short lived as the sight of someone makes them break apart abruptly.