The truth

The first thing I see when I wake up is a group of blurry people leaning over me.

"Natasha!? You okay? How are you feeling?"

I try to open my mouth however I find a weird stiffness preventing me from doing so. My hands fumble around my chin and my shaking fingers feel stitches around my upper neck.

Shit. For fuck's sake

I thrust my head back onto the pillow as I realise I'm in the hospital - obviously having gone through some surgery. This immobility makes me feel angry at myself.

"M-mum..." I barely manage to say.

"Don't worry, Nat. We've called Amara Aunty. She's coming."

Suddenly, I get to grips with what happened before I became unconscious. I was at the match, Hardik had just hit - a six... and everything went black. Now I realised - the ball had hit me. Everything else after that was impossible for me to try and remember. Even as I tried a weird sickening feeling emerged from my stomach.

I'm actually going to be dead. My mum will kill me when she finds out this happened at the match.

"NATASHA!!!! NATASHA MY BABY!" My mother's strained voice sounds from nearby.

She barges through the door and immediately hugs me, making me wince in pain as her weight lands on my bruises on my head.

"I'm so so sorry. I shouldn't have sent you to the match. I knew something would happen -"

"Ma'am please calm down, you're stressing the patient."

"Natasha..." my mum's voice breaks as she sits beside me helplessly.

I look at her loose hair strands, she obviously got here in a hurry. Her face was sweating. I can't believe I put her through this. And the hospital fees? The surgery must have cost a fortune. What a failure I am!

I close my eyes to try and calm down.

"Fees?"

Mum doesn't care about the fees at this moment, however as I say it I see concern in her eyes. I know she won't say anything, but deep down she is worried and uncertain.

"Ma'am, don't worry. The person who brought you here has already paid all your hospital bills and any medicine fees." The nurse says.

Me and mum exchange confused glances, although I'm extremely thankful to whoever did.

"No, I can't accept this. Please tell me who brought her here. I need to return their money." Mum says, wiping her tears.

"I'll need to check with the administration department, ma'am, excuse me." She leaves to go and get the details.

"What happened, girls?" Mum turns to my friends standing awkwardly beside her.

"The ball hit her face, and she was covered in blood. But then the cricketer who was batting brought her here immediately. He stopped the match half way for her."

"Who was he?" Mum asks.

"He was...." Mihika begins.

"Ma'am - the admin head isn't here. She's on her lunch break but please sign these papers for us." The nurse interrupts and hands her a form.