The Dancing Dragon

I watched as Zuko taught Aang how to fire bend, with not much luck. 

"I know you're nervous, but remember, fire bending in it of itself is not something to fear." Zuko was telling him.

Aang took a deep breath, "Okay. Not something to fear."

"But if you don't respect it, it'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo rhino!" Zuko yelled at Aang who yelped and jumped away.

I laughed, "Geez, Zuko you didn't have to scare him like that,"

He smiled at me, "of course I did," then he turned to Aang, "Now show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make."

Aang nodded and took a deep breath. A small puff of smoke came out, "maybe I need a little more instruction. Perhaps a demonstration?" he asked Zuko.

Zuko nodded, "Good idea. You might wanna take a couple steps back."

He shot a teeny tiny flame from his fist. I laughed, almost choking on my own saliva.

"What was that? That was the worst fire bending I've ever seen!" Zuko yelled, taking a step back.

"I thought it was... nice," Aang shrugged.

Zuko failed at fire bending a couple more times. 

I was starting to grow worried. 

What about my bending?

"Wait, guys step back. I'm going to try,"

I took a deep breath and shot a strong pillar of fire into the air, "yep! Still got it! Suck it, Zuko!"

"(Y/N) I swea-"

"Shhh, less swearing and more fire bending. Oh... wait..." I laughed, and Aang joined. 

"Just breathe and..." Zuko shot another flame, almost as pathetic as the last. 

"That one kind of felt hot." Aang said.

"Don't patronize me! You know what it's supposed to look like!" Zuko yelled, growing more angry.

"Sorry, Sifu Hotman." Aang said, causing me to laugh hysterically. 

Zuko threw his arms down in frustration, "And stop calling me that!"

"Calm yourself, Zuko. It'll come back."

Sokka approached us, eating an apple, "Hey, jerks! Mind if I watch you two jerks do your jerk bending?"

"Get out of here!" Zuko lashed out at him. 

"Okay, take it easy. I was just kiddin' around. Jerk bending, still got it" Sokka said, chuckling to himself. 

Zuko continued to fail at his fire bending, growing more and more frustrated. I walked up to him, lightly touching his arm. I felt him relax. I took his face in my hands, "calm down, Zuko. Just rest for a bit."

His eyes stared into mine intently, and he nodded. 

"Get a room." Aang coughed. 

That night, we were gathered around the campfire for dinner, "Listen everybody, I've got some pretty bad news. I've lost my stuff." Zuko said, dejected. 

"Don't look at me, I didn't touch your stuff," Toph said, crossing her arms. I stifled a laugh.

"I'm talking about my firebending. It's gone." Zuko said.

Katara laughed, and Zuko and I shot her an annoyed look, "I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know, how it would've been nice for us if you lost your fire bending a long time ago."