Fun and Games

You know what? My life has never been easy. I've always had a reason to be sad or frustrated. Always. But somehow, I've managed to keep all of that, everything contained and hidden away. I joke away the pain. 

That's what I've done. That's what I've always done. Since I was 11 and my parents were killed, I've made jokes. I've been sarcastic. I've used humor to spare myself the pain of feeling. That's a part of who I am. And that's fine. 

But, the most important part of my identity to me, is the fact that I am the Dual Bender. That's who I am. Since I was banished with Zuko that's,  who I've been. Since my adventures started, since my life started, I've been the dual bender. Not this weird Avatar wannabe. I don't want to be a master of all four elements. I'm fine with just two. In fact, I love knowing these two. 

But it can make you stronger. 

There it is. That voice. That demonic voice in my head. Shi or whatever the hell it is. I want it gone. 

Why be the dual bender when you can replace the Avatar? Enter a new era. Together we can-

Yeah listen, this is my head, so I'm gonna need you to shut up while I angst. 

Spirits these days, have no god damn manners. 

I heard a knock on the door. I looked up to see Zuko, Aang, Katara, Toph, and Sokka looking at me all concerned. I hated that look. The one where everyone feels sorry for you? Ever since I was young, that's been a common denominator. I watched my parents die and all I got was apologetic stares. People stepping on eggshells around me so I wouldn't shatter. I was banished, and all I got was apologetic stares. I left Zuko and for weeks all Sokka, Katara, and Aang gave me were apologetic stares, but then, life got better. We won the war. All the efforts, everything we've done, everything we've accomplished it came back our way, and then I got engaged. I got engaged to the man I had been in love with since I was 11. 

My life was perfect. Well, maybe not perfect, but perfect for me. I had gotten all I've ever wanted. 

Then, I got kidnapped. 

And now, after so long, I'm back. I'm back with my friends, with my fiancé, just to have this stupid spirit in me. 

I'm making you stronger. Invincible, even. 

Will you please shut it

I shook my head and shot a weak smile at my friends, "come to check on the freak of nature, I see?"

They looked uncomfortable, "no, of course not, we just wanted to see you..." Katara trailed off. 

Look at that. They're scared of you.

They are not. Stop lying. 

Aang cleared his throat, "I was thinking that maybe we should study air bending, cause if you have it you might as well master it," he tried smiling. 

Something felt off. 

Ha. He underestimates my uh- your abilities. You've already mastered it, I mean thanks to me. 

 Bro. Will you please, shut up. I have not mastered it. I didn't even know I had it. 

Really? Lift your arm. 

I did as Shi said. 

Now concentrate and aim for the vase.

I took a deep breath and shot air at the vase, which shattered on impact. Aang's eyes widened. I stared at it for a few seconds, then turned to the team, "I think I got it. And even if I didn't, I don't want to learn air bending, because I don't want to be an Air bender. So thanks. But no thanks." I buried my head into a pillow.