20

~One Day Later After Joey And Ashli Visit Joey's Parents ~

"No! You won't do it!"
"Oh, but I would, Ashli." I reached up and slapped Daniel, regretting it. He picked me up and tossed me down onto the concrete floor. I struggled to breathe.

"I bet you regret doing that, don't you?" I didn't respond. Daniel slapped me.

"Answer me!"
"I-I-I re-re-regret it", I managed. He stroked my cheek.

"You need to be taught a lesson", Daniel said.
"Wh-what do y-you m-m-mea-mean", I asked.
"I'm going to teach you a hard, painful lesson. And when I do, you won't scream, you won't cry, you will shut that pretty little mouth of yours."
"Please don't do this. Please, Daniel, don't do this", I begged.
"Too bad. Maybe you should better next time", Daniel said, pulling shirt above my head.
~~~
Joey's POV

"Ashli, you were dreaming. It wasn't real - it isn't real."
"But, Joey, it felt real. I could feel the slap. What's wrong with me?"
"Ashli, nothing is wrong with you." Ashli had woken up with another nightmare.

"There's obviously something wrong. If there wasn't, then I wouldn't have these horrible dreams", Ashli said.
"Ash, it's normal to have nightmares."
"Every night?!"
"Yes." Ashli sighed.

"Wow. So it is normal to scream, cry, and kick people every single night over a bad dream?"
"Uh huh."
"Okay. Then why don't you do it? You never cry or scream if you have a bad dream", Ashli said.
"I don't know", I said. I wrapped an arm around Ashli's shoulders. She put her head on my arm.

"I'm sorry, Joey."
"For what?"
"For this. I hate that you have to deal with me - waking up every night when I do all because of a nightmare, having to tell me that there's nothing wrong with me, and always getting hurt by me. You shouldn't have to."
"But I want to. That's what I'm here for", I said, kissing Ashli.

"I love you, baby", I whispered in her ear.
"I love you, too."