39 - Joey's POV

I looked up. Ashli's eyes were opened, large and blue. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Was Ashli actually awake?

"Baby, why are you crying", she asked.
"A-A-Ashli?"
"Joey, what's wrong?" I let go of her hand and stood up. Ashli looked at me fearfully.

"What are you doing?"
"I need to go get the nurse." I walked out of the room and found Leah.

"Leah, Ashli's awake", I said.
"She is?" Leah stood up and walked into Ashli's room with me. Ashli looked confused.

"I can't believe it. She actually woke up."
~~~
One Week Later...

Ashli got to come home. I took her hand in mine and led her outside.

"I have so many questions", Ashli said.
"I'll answer them all." I helped her inside of my car, and then I got in.

"Alright. Start asking questions."
~~~
Two Hours Later At Joey & Ashli's House...

"So how did I manage to eat food while I was in the coma?"
"You were given a clear substance, which was the liquid equivalent of food."
"But I'm just as thin as I was before", Ashli said. She realized that she'd lost a lot of weight.

"I know. Do you feel pain any where", I asked.
"Yeah, I do", Ashli replied. I nodded.

"Do you want to talk to Adam or Zach? They don't know that you're home."
"Yeah, I want to talk to Adam." I dialed Adam's phone number and gave Ashli my phone. Then I walked away. Things felt... Different. Was it because I was home with Ashli? Was it because I hadn't been home in a month? I didn't know. But I was happy that Ashli was back. Now, all that I wanted to focus on was helping Ashli to get better. I grabbed some pain medicine and some water. I went back to Ashli.

"Adam didn't answer his phone", she said.
"Okay." I gave her the medicine and the water.

"Thank you, Joey", Ashli said.
"You're welcome", I smiled. There was a pause.

"I have one more question."
"Go ahead."
"What happened to Daniel?"
"He's in jail, on death row", I replied.
"Death row?!" Ashli was surprised.

"Yeah, he's on death row."
"I'm a bad person", Ashli said.
"Why?"
"I'm the reason that Daniel is in jail. I don't want him to get killed. Why not arrest him for kidnapping? But, because of me, he's going to get killed in jail. And now, until the day that he's executed, Daniel will blame all of this on me. I'm the reason that Daniel is going to die. Why didn't I just shut up and not call you? I'm such an idiot", Ashli said. I placed my arm around her shoulders.

"Ashli, this isn't your fault. Daniel was wrong for doing the things that he done to you. You're not an idiot; don't think that. You were smart by calling me. If you wouldn't have, then Daniel would still have you." Ashli sighed and placed her head in her hands.

"I know that, Joey. But I don't want someone to get killed. I know that it's for the best, but it still doesn't feel right."
"I understand how you feel, Ashli", I whispered, gently stroking her hair.
~~~
A Few Hours Later... (Bedtime)

"I really need to get a shower", Ashli said.
"I'll help you upstairs." I held her hand and walked up with her. I led Ashli into our room and grabbed her pajamas.

"Can you take a shower by yourself", I asked.
"I don't know. I'll try."
"I'll stay in here with you", I said. Ashli nodded, and I walked out to give her some privacy.

"Ouch", I hear a moment later. I walk in and see Ashli, struggling to take her jeans off. Her arm, I could tell, was giving her trouble.

"Let me help", I said. I walked over to her and pulled her jeans off. Then, I helped remove her underwear and her bra.

"Thank you, Joey", Ashli says.
"No problem. Do you want me to get in with you?"
"Please. I need help." I turned the water on for Ashli and allowed her to get in. Then, I stripped except for my boxers and got in the shower.
~~~
Later On... (Joey and Ashli are in bed)

"Thank you for helping me take a shower."
"Your welcome", I said. Ashli and I were laying in bed, both of us tired.

"I just feel bad for you", Ashli said.
"Why?"
"You had to see what Daniel done to me, all of the bruises and scars. And I really don't like the scar from my surgery. Does it look ugly?"
"No", I replied.
"The scar may not look ugly, but it's a constant reminder that Daniel almost killed me", Ashli said.
"Almost. He almost killed you. But he didn't. You fought for your life - and you won. The scar isn't ugly - it's beautiful. Those bruises will eventually go away." Ashli looked at me with wide eyes.

"Do you hate me? Do you think that I'm not pretty any more? Am I a disappointment to you? Will you - or do you - hate me for the things that Daniel done to me - he starved me, raped me, beat me?" I looked into Ashli's eyes.

"Ashli, I don't hate you. Please don't ever think that I do, because I never will, no matter what happens. Ashli, you are the most beautiful person that I have ever seen. Please don't ever think that you're not pretty, because you are. Ashli, you never disappoint me. Please don't ever think that you do, because you never will. Ashli, I don't hate you for the things that Daniel done. I strongly dislike Daniel for it, but please don't think that I hate you for it. Daniel could hurt you every day, which we won't, and I would never hate you for it. Please don't think that just because if what has happened to you that I hate you because of it."

Ashli looked as if she wanted to cry. She thought that I was mad at her because of Daniel. She thought that I hated her because Daniel had hurt her in more ways than one, which would effect Ashli forever, but I didn't hate her. How could I? It wasn't her fault that she'd been kidnapped and starved and raped and nearly murdered. But now, because of Daniel and his twisted mind, Ashli would deal with the consequences for the rest of her life.

"Thank you, Joey. That was such a dumb thing of me to ask."
"No, it wasn't. You wanted to know how I felt about the situation." I placed my lips on Ashli's and kissed her.

"Good night. I love you, Joey", Ashli said when I pulled out of the kiss.
"Good night. I love you too, Ash."
~~~
I am silently crying over Joey and Ashli right now.