Day One: The Bloodbath

26 Tributes.
How many will survive the first hour?

- C E C I L I A - S N O W -

I wake up as the hovercraft begins to land, haven taken a power nap before. Couldn't be prepared enough, could I? I had expected light to stream into my face for a second, but then I remember the structure of these hovercrafts. Solid steel, with no windows. Not even the cockpit, since it ran with cameras.

     I was sitting next to Squid, not Cameron. The peacekeepers made us sit next to our district partners, and so we didn't have a chance to discuss strategy on the plane. It was kind of a dick move, to be honest.

     "Morning." I say casually to Squid, who looks over and notices that I'm awake.

     "Hey." He says, eyeing me. "We're almost here."

     "Yeah." I mumble, sitting up.

     "There's something you should see." He says, taking a tablet from the charging port in the wall and handing it to me. It was an edition of the Capitol Daily, the only Capitol-sponsored and approved news station. It covered damn near everything, the games included. I could expect damn near everything.

     But hot damn, I didn't expect this.

     An article about how Cameron Luíz flashed his junk to the Capitol, declaring a last letter to his family and insulting the Capitol in an emotional tirade.

     "Is this real?" I ask Squid, my face contorting in shock and anger.

     "I mean, most likely." He sighs. "Either way, your partner just committed social suicide. That could bring you down too."

     "Yeah..." I stammer, trying to think of my next move. "Fuck."

     "Good luck, Ms. Snow." He says with a sarcastic tone.

- M A R I - A L B O T T -

     I step off of the hovercraft, fist bumping Simon and following the peacekeeper's instructions. They were nice with everyone that followed the instructions, except for Cameron. He got a fat knuckle sandwich to the face from a peacekeeper captain, nearly knocking him out. They pick his arms up and drag him into one of the hallways.

     My mentor, Nich Desri, comes to me and we walk down a hallway. The door closes behind us, and a voice comes over the loudspeaker.

     "Five minutes remaining."

     "Intimidating, isn't it?" Nich asks sarcastically, as I follow him down the concrete hallway. "Especially since you may die in the next few minutes."

     "Yeah." I respond, trying to brush off the remark. "Question."

     "Not much time, so you should ask now." He says.

     "When you ditched the Careers, how did you do it?"

     "At night, when I called watch." He says, looking back at me. "Is that your plan?"

     "Yeah." I say.

     "Why?" He asks. I expected him to be mad, but he got it. I guess I should have expected it.