Night Two: Hard Freeze

- R O M A N - A R M S T R O N G -

I couldn't let Lucy do this. I wouldn't. It would make me supportive of the one thing I promised not to become. Raegan's death may be imminent, but it wouldn't happen under my watch. I had to keep my heart - the only thing keeping me from becoming a Capitol pawn. With that I make my decision. The cold wind only helped me to brace myself for what was to come.

     "Lucy, don't." I strain the last one, hoping it didn't have to come to this. She only laughs quietly.

     "Oh, please. Just wait until I tell Ray how much of a pussy you are." She snickers. "I knew you weren't a real Career the moment I laid my eyes on you. You Fours are all the same." Raegan evidently hears this, and looks around. A deer in Lucy's headlights. I had a second, if I was lucky.

Fuck you, Lucy.

     I draw my broadsword as quickly as possible, and pierce her right shoulder with all my strength. My left hand goes to cover her mouth, and the sword's hilt touches her shoulder. Her crossbow drops to the ground, and Raegan stares on in horror. Lucy was struggling, but I was much stronger. A small Yelp escapes my mouth as her left hand scratches my hand. She was trying to scream, but was in too much pain and shock. Her right arm was barely held onto her body by my sword.

     "Don't look." I tell Raegan, ripping the sword up. Lucy's arm comes clean off before I slide my sword straight across her throat. I let go, and she falls straight to the ground in a heap of blood. The stare of her distraught face was haunting. Her body loses energy very quickly after that, and before long, she stops choking. The cannon fires soon after.

     "Why are you helping me?" Raegan asks, as I drag Lucy's body to the  water. Numerous cover stories were racing through my head, but I had picked mine very quickly.

     "You deserve -mph- more than to be s-shot in the neck by a bitch." I say, finally dropping her body into the lake. I then walk to get her crossbow and disconnected arm, throwing them in the lake with her. She was still standing there, frozen with her fishing rod. "Jesus, girl! Fucking Hide! Now!"

     My urgency seems to convince the twelve year old, as she runs into a nearby house and locks the door. Good. Oddly, I had no qualms about killing the Career girl. She had always been one of my disliked ones.

Now, to cover my tracks. If this was found out, I was likely fucked. I run away from the place, working up a sweat as I run around to the other side of the town. "Merryn! Simon!" I yell, making myself sound urgent and frightened. Footsteps come from the street to my right, and the three step out quickly.

"Roman?" Merryn asks, frightened by my demeanor. I knew for a fact she had never seen me like this. "What's wrong? Where's Lucy?"

"There's - there's f-FUCKING MUTTS!" I stutter, running into the other street with them. "Stay away f-from the water!"

"What happened?" Ray asks.

"No, no no not mutts.." Simon mutters, holding his head and trying to keep from freaking out. It made me feel bad to start a panic attack in him, but it had to happen. Merryn rushes to Simon, trying to comfort him.

"They- they came from the water." I say, shaking a bit. "But- but they were so.. human." I lift my sword up, showing the red blood. "They were like aquatic people. I tried man, I di-"