Day Two: Inevitability

(This is a long one with a lot of choices. I remind you that every choice has consequences. Choose wisely.)

- R O M A N - A R M S T R O N G -

     The clouds had continued to cover the sky in a blanket, and it was rather dark for midday. It had caused us to be a bit more careful on our expedition, checking the corners of buildings better than usual.

     I didn't know which way I preferred. I guess I was more comfortable heading south, even if Superia hadn't personally pissed me off. I was a bit more worried about going north, because I remembered some things from yesterday. We thought the Flares were up this way, but Raegan was also likely up here. She had gone this way after the bloodbath, and I doubt she'd be able to operate a boat if she found one.

     My fears are confirmed when we reach a small island in between the bridges. There was a small fishing shop, and we had began to flush it out like everything else. Lucy exclaims something, and we all walk towards her.

     In the building was a cleaning station, and inside that was a blanket, which was from one of the supply packs. "Someone set up shop here." Lucy laughs. "Pathetic. Do we wait?"

"We continue." Merryn assures, clearly pissed off. When the decision was made, she had wanted to go south by herself. The only reason she was with us now was because Ray had promised that when they were found, Merryn could be the one to end Superia. Only that promise was enough to make her put up with the choice. "Why waste so much time? They don't have much. They probably went towards Hamnøy."

"This can't be the Flares." I say, kneeling down. There was no way those two could fit in here. No other blanket was to be seen here, so if must be a solo. "Oh no."

"What?" Ray says, looking back. It didn't take him long to figure out what was on my mind. I kind of hated how well he remembered everything. "It's because this is Raegan's stuff, right?"

     "I'd rather not murder an innocent twelve year old that has the namesake of my late sister, Ray." I say, closing the door of the station and sitting on a counter.

     "No one is innocent." Lucy says, looking highly annoyed at me. "And everyone is a threat. Grow a pair, Roman."

     I look at everyone else, bewildered. Ray steps by Lucy, joining her side. Merryn's looking conflicted, and I could understand. She was heartless here, driven by revenge and bloodlust, but had a dead sibling like me. I could faintly hear Simon in another room, talking to himself. Likely having another hallucination.

     "I know it sucks, but the District 3 girl is nothing like your sister." Ray points.

     "You don't understand." I growl, standing my ground solidly. I was the only Career that really would majorly challenge Ray. "I don't want to become the same person who killed my sister. I won't."

"Then I'll do it for you." Lucy says, rolling her eyes. "Can we go now? We're burning daylight."

I elect not to go further as the three walk out before me. The effort to get off that countertop was staggering. Sometimes I wish I wasn't with these people. Not that the moral high ground helped at all in a battle to the death. I eventually land my feet on the tile floor, walking outside and following the others north.