𝓛𝓪 𝓕𝓲𝓷

- M A D D O X - V A N H O L T -

     "And so, let the good grace of God rest on our smol bean," Lyka says, effectively holding back her tears. We were in District 11, just a week after the whole trip to the Capitol. Miraculously, Ike's plan had worked. After so much war and destruction, the districts sided all behind the Resistance. With JP removed from office, the Capitol didn't act to resist the changes. They went with it. "He will be remembered around Panem for centuries."

     Tender could barely keep in his tears. It was weird - I had imagined him doing better than Lyka. I guess I was wrong. She closes her book, and walks away from the microphone. I was next, so I stand and walk up to the mic. I couldn't keep my tears away. My eyes were red and puffy, and no one could blame me. It was my brother. It didn't matter that he was adopted, he was undoubtedly family.

     I take the mic, and sit down. One less thing that could go awry if I collapsed in sadness.

     "Y-y know, I t-th-thought it was c-customary for f-funerals t-to be on a rainy day." I start, pointing out the incredibly hot sun beating down on us. It was a 90° day, and practically the entire cast of people who knew Ike was here in full black. My poor attempt at a joke doesn't land a laugh, and I look down to compose myself before continuing.

     "I can't believe he's gone," I say, managing to not stutter for once in my life. "It's like it was yesterday that we were joking with each other with archery. He and Vanessa are now joking about pastries, I'm sure."

     "He's somewhere, that's for sure. He could be in heaven, but he for sure is in all of our h-hearts. Our dreams. Our premonitions. He's there to help us navigate everything in the better Panem he jumpstarted.

     "I'm sure he's in heaven, though. He went through hell so many times already, and he always did it for other people. Never for himself. It's the mark of a hero, and I couldn't be happier to be his brother.

     "Maybe he foresaw all of this, The eventual tidal wave that would come from his ripples in those frigid lakes of the Nestor Falls Arena. He was fearless. He saved me in the most deadly situation I could have got myself. He trusted Dawn before any of us would. If anyone had the power of time travel, he would be who I entrusted with it."

     I quickly glance around, worried my thoughtful rambling would detract from the service, but I had people crying. Some were nodding to me. Hell, in the back of the field, I could swear I saw two more people. My hands freeze as I see the apparitions. I knew they weren't real, but a small part of me wanted them to be.

     They both nod, one male and one female, before fading out of my sight. I can't hold in my tears again. They were somewhere, alright. Always with me. I step out of the chair and hand off the microphone before escaping down the path quickly. I could hear footsteps behind me, and I finally find a bench.

     "You okay?" Sarah Silverclaw begins, sitting down next to me and resting a hand over my shoulders. I couldn't respond. I was in too much shock at what I had seen, what I had experienced.

     "No," I say softly, sniffing and wiping some tears from my face. "I'm not, Sarah."

     "What happened, Maddox?" She asks with concern, moving her face closer to mine. I knew she was, even if I couldn't see her doing it.

     "Everything." I cry, realizing that wiping water from my face was fruitless. "Sarah, I don't know what t-to do."

     "Um... I know." She says, fishing something from her pocket. I finally sit up, letting the sun reflect off my tears. She hands me a note. "Dawn.. asked me to give this to you. Feared she would lose it, y'know?"

     I look at the brown envelope with a sort of hesitance, eventually taking it. I already knew what it was, and my hands were shaking from the fact. Opening.. it felt like a sacrificial act. I eventually do so and I have my revelation.

     Maddox.
     If you're reading this, I hope I did the right thing. It's not like this wasn't meant to be read, but I would have preferred if the situation hadn't called for it. Therefore, my robotic hand is forced.
I love you, just so you know. Looking back, I hadn't said it enough before. I can't make up for it, but I can try to give you some advice. First, You being sad right now is the thing I would hope you would try not to do. It's hard not having my stupid banter, I know. But if you're reading this, I had to forgo it. 

     I didn't do what I did so you could mope. Only you have the power to live your life. Make the most out of it, damnit. That's the biggest favor you could do for yourself and me.
I hope you finally realize the bakery, even if I'm not there to help. Make that shit is the best in Panem, and I'm sure Vanessa will be proud. Who am I kidding, she already is. For both of us.
But, I have one request. Maddox VanHolt, don't forget me. You may see me occasionally, whether it's the ghost in the back of your head or if I'm somehow supernatural. I'd prefer the former. Either way, I'll always be with you, trying to help.
     Love you, smol-er bean.

-Ike

A.N.
     Thanks for embarking on this ride with me. IHG has grown so much that I can't even thank you guys enough. Gotta love the butterfly effect, huh? If I hadn't spontaneously decided to write the first installment a couple of years ago, I'd likely have quit WattPad long ago and never embraced my storytelling side. I'd be in a completely different place now without all of you. Also, thanks for such a great series to base this on, Suzanne Collins. And of course, Kudos to everyone else as well. This wouldn't exist without you guys backing it.

     But, a finale means the end. So, this is the last story of the saga.  I've got some new projects on the horizon, and they don't involve IHG. I'll be experimenting with different Interactives, with one coming very soon. It would take something very drastic to draft up an IHG7, and I'm not planning to. I'm not the best with endings, but I hope this one is good. Thanks for being here on this journey.

𝓕𝓲𝓷