Chapter 1

"Oh my God, Rose! Did you hear that Shane Reyes just declared as Alpha?!" Meredith gasped, racing into the Dhampir common room, out of breath with the latest news.

Rose rolled her eyes. Since he hit fifteen, Shane had been growing up and out. The dude was seriously buff, even compared to other Dhampir guys who, let's face it, were all muscle. And as his stature changed, so had his attitude. The only shock about Shane's announcement was that it had taken him so long to officially declare.

"Meredith? How can you possibly be surprised?! I mean look at the guy!" Rose asked.

"But he's made it official," Meredith replied with a slightly dreamy look in her eyes. Glancing around the table, Rose saw the tense jaws of her best mates Mason and Eddie.

Moroi usually declared in their sophomore or junior year. The vast majority were fire, earth, water or air magic users, although a long-forgotten element called spirit had recently been rediscovered. Rose knew more about that than most, thanks to her best friend of thirteen years being one of a handful of known spirit users. It was a similar thing for Dhampir. The vast majority of Dhampir were Beta, however during high school around five percent evolved into what they called an Alpha.

Taller and stronger than regular Dhampir, Alphas were the ultimate warriors. Known for their speed and strength, Alphas were also natural leaders and tended to rise quickly through the Guardian ranks. Most Alphas were male, although there was the odd female Alpha, too. But, male or female, Alphas were known for their size and their dominant demeanor. Virtually every male Dhampir secretly hoped to become Alpha, and a good deal of women hoped to be bedded by one.

While sleeping with an Alpha never held a particular fascination for Rose, she knew Alphas were physiologically different from other Dhampir, Moroi, and humans. Part of meta-morphing into an Alpha involved further development of genitalia. Male Alphas boasted larger dicks than regular Dhampir or Moroi. Plus, as well as being revered for their stamina and charisma, male Alphas had a bulbous area at the base of their cock that expanded just before ejaculation. A phenomenon known as 'knotting', the swelling locked him in place within his partner for the duration of his orgasm. Since male Alphas could ejaculate for up to five minutes, it was biology's way of encouraging conception.

While female Alphas were comparatively uncommon, they, too, had slightly different genitalia. Women Alphas had a strong muscle close to their opening which gripped their sexual partner during her climax. Like their male counterparts, Alpha women came long and hard, her muscle ensuring a male partner stayed in place to satiate her and promote progeny.

It wasn't surprising Eddie and Mason were envious of Shane. Alphas had their pick of positions and postings. While as a race Dhampir were devoted to protecting Moroi, within Guardian ranks Alphas got the best roles as well as many willing sexual partners. And unlike Betas, eventually, they found a mate and settled down. Who didn't want to be the top of their game, have their choice of lovers then find their life partner?!

"Well, it doesn't make him any more attractive to me," Rose declared loyally. Not that she was interested in Mason or Eddie, but she wanted them to know not every female Dhampir was lusting after an Alpha—even if Meredith's reaction suggested otherwise.

The end of their study hour approaching, Rose excused herself to head over to the Moroi common room. Since her best friend's parents and brother died in a tragic car accident two years ago, Rose had made a point of seeing her best friend Lissa every night before bed. A Royal Moroi, Princess Vasilisa Dragomir had a part to play amongst the other Royal Moroi at St. Vladimir's Academy. Yet Rose appreciated, better than anyone, that Lissa hated the politics that went along with being the last of her family.