Chapter 41

One look at Karolina's horror-stricken face as she held out her cell phone was enough to tell Mirabelle something devastating had occurred. Her hand trembled as she took the phone, bringing it to her ear.

"Mirabelle speaking," she whispered, anticipating the very worst. This feeling wasn't lessened by Karolina racing around the villa they'd shared for the last month, fetching their suitcases and starting to throw their belongings into them.

"It's Pavel, Mirabelle. There's been an incident at Court. Tatiana Ivashkov shot Hans. He's in a bad way. You need to come immediately—they say there's a possibility he won't make it. Mr. Mazur's plane, pilot, and flight crew will bring you back. They're preparing a flight plan now. Wheels up in forty-five minutes."

She sank to the floor sobbing, stammering a couple of words, showing her understanding before hanging up. Like Karolina, Mirabelle grabbed clothing, shoving it indiscriminately into her suitcase. She hadn't brought a lot—in fact, most of the time she'd worn shorts, T-shirts, swimwear, and sarongs. She'd been able to relax, at least in a manner of speaking, while Hans had literally taken on the weight of their world. And now she might never see him alive again.

"Don't you dare waste time crying," Karolina growled, close to tears herself. Trying to hold it together for Mirabelle's sake. In their weeks together they'd become close, each finding the 'bestie' she'd never had. "He's your mate, and he needs you! You ring the front desk and get a taxi waiting—I'll fix up the bill and check us out."

Minutes later, Karolina had Zoya up from her bed, trying to explain to the four-year-old why they were leaving the resort in the middle of the night. At first irritable and tired, the little girl perked up considerably once she learned in a little over four hours they'd reunite with her daddy!

In the taxi on the way to the airport, Karolina rang her mother, sharing with her the devastating news. With no way to assist from so far away, Olena promised they'd help Mirabelle and Hans in the only way they could - through prayer. Speaking in Russian so Mirabelle would not understand, Karolina admitted it was very much needed. Pavel had been more forthcoming with her than he had been with Mirabelle. It would be a miracle if Hans' mate made it to Court in time to say her goodbyes. Croft was so critically injured, it seemed impossible he would survive.

"I'm Rosemarie Belikov," Rose declared when they reached the hospital, presenting at the main reception

"I'm Rosemarie Belikov," Rose declared when they reached the hospital, presenting at the main reception. "My father, Ibrahim Mazur, was shot?"

Less than fifteen minutes after she'd heard from her husband, Rose, Janine, and Lissa were at the hospital, shoving their way through a crowd of Guardians and curious Moroi to get to the front desk. Vultures—the Moroi, at least... the Guardians were probably deployed to keep the peace—Rose, and Janine would fight their way through to the first person who could give them information if that's what it took!

"ROZA!" Dimitri exclaimed, his height allowing him to see over the crowd, racing toward Rose, Janine, and Lissa. Sweeping his mate into his embrace and kissing her temple, he addressed the trio.