Chapter 20

"Are you sure you're ok with this?" Hans asked Mirabelle, wrapping his arms around her stomach. Six months ago, Hans insisted Mirabelle take leave from work. Seeing one too many Strigoi attacks, she'd been physically and emotionally exhausted. For weeks she'd barely left their bed, him joining her whenever he could. Now recovered, Hans was more protective of her than ever. "I promise Belikov won't stay with us long. If having him here stresses you out..."

"It doesn't," Mirabelle said, spinning in Hans' arms and stroking his face, purring softly. "They seem like such a sweet young couple. What's happening to them isn't fair - they don't deserve it!"

"They don't," Hans agreed. A lot of what happened to dhampir wasn't fair or just, but the treatment of Omega stood out as particularly abhorrent. Once a dhampir declared as Omega, their life ceased to be their own. Considered incapable of managing their own affairs, they were brought to Court and kept there until coerced into accepting a union with an eligible Royal Moroi. A prize amongst Moroi men, Omega were courted by the crème de la crème of Royals.

Never, as far as Hans understood, had an Omega been the mate of an Alpha – which is what made this situation even more difficult. As a mated Alpha, Croft understood how deep the bond between mates ran. He would do anything... anything... to protect Mirabelle if circumstances required it, which is why he felt so sympathetic to Belikov and Hathaway's current situation.

"What do you think will happen?" Mirabelle asked, leaning her cheek against Hans' chest and purring. He was the perfect height that her head rested above his heart.

"They'll keep her and try to convince her to marry a Royal. Probably Adrian Ivashkov."

"That's barbaric! Rose and Dimitri are bonded and in love! Oh, Hans! You can't let this happen! It's too horrible to contemplate!" Mirabelle said, getting distressed.

"There's a limit to what I can do. I can't be seen to be helping the couple," Hans said before purring deeply. He didn't want anything or anyone upsetting his mate.

"I understand that. But you'll come up with something. You always do."

"You're here!" Rose sighed, lying cuddled in Dimitri's embrace in Hans and Mirabelle Croft's spare room

"I'll always come for you, Roza," Dimitri said, wrapped around his mate, inhaling her scent. It hadn't been that long since he'd seen her at the Academy, yet it seemed like forever.

"I was so scared! Who knows you're here?"

"Hans, Mirabelle, and Celeste. Alberta suspects it, but the official word is that I am on leave visiting my family. Again. How has everything been so far?"

"Fine. It's just been me and Celeste, then Croft came to bring me here."

"Are you guarded?"

"Only the corridor outside the unit. Celeste and I are the only ones in the suite, so far, but my mother is joining us from today."