Chapter 42

Mirabelle Croft, surrounded by the extended Belikov / Mazur / Hathaway clan, listened carefully as Dr. Hendersen showed Lissa and Adrian a plastic model of a heart, describing in detail the structures surrounding it and precisely where the bullet was lodged. Aided by several diagrams on the whiteboard, they had a game plan, of sorts. Then Adrian described to those gathered how Spirit healing was more about a 'feeling' and that while they would try to target the areas closest to the bullet, there were no guarantees. Following that, he warned Lissa there would be circumstances where they would need to pull back. Specifically, if they started to lose Guardian Croft, she needed to stop giving him Spirit.

"The worst-case scenario is you exhaust your Spirit trying to save him, and we lose you both. Even if you manage to bring him back from the brink of death, it somehow affects the soul. The little I've found written about it isn't particularly explicit, but it refers to darkness, ghosts, being kissed by shadows, and potentially insanity. I need you to promise, Lissa—if I tell you to pull back, you will."

"Even if it means he will die?"

"Yes," Adrian said firmly. "This is a long shot, at best. We'll heal Guardian Croft to the point where it gives the surgeons a chance to save him, but no further."

Mirabelle nodded to the Moroi Princess. Hans would not want a young woman to risk her life to save him. Like everyone, she knew this was a long-shot. She also knew it was Hans' only shot.

"I promise I'll pull back," Lissa vowed. "So when do we do this?"

"As soon as possible. I'll assemble the rest of the surgical team. Mrs. Croft? This will be a long and complex procedure. You might like to spend a little time with Guardian Croft before we take him in," Dr. Hendersen suggested delicately. Everyone knew there was a slim chance Hans would survive the operation. Mirabelle nodded, Karolina standing, the two leaving the room, headed for the ICU to visit Mirabelle's mate and the innumerable machines that were keeping him alive.

"Is there anything either of you need to prepare?" the doctor checked, addressing Lissa and Adrian.

"We should feed now and again after," Adrian volunteered, standing and moving toward the door.

"And I'd like it if my husband was nearby," Lissa added, following him. The words were hardly out of her mouth before Pavel pulled out his cell to request Christian's presence. Lissa had informed Christian earlier what had occurred, and that she was at the emergency room with Rose and Janine. She'd told him he didn't need to come up, but now she and Adrian were attempting to heal Croft, she'd need to inform her husband.

"Is there anything I can do?" Rose asked. Most of the preparations centered on preparing for Guardian Croft's operation, and there was nothing she could do to assist there.

"Yes. Croft was willing to risk his life and livelihood to give Dhampir and non-Royal Moroi a voice," Guardian Erskine said. Usually a dispassionate man, today's events had taken their toll. "By now, half of Court will know Tatiana shot your father and Hans, and two days out from the election, public opinion is everything. You need to get out there with your father and be a visible face of this revolution!"

Rose spun in Dimitri's arms to look at her father.

"He's right, kiz," Abe piped up from where he sat with Janine, his eyes latching onto Rose's as she turned back around still encircled in her husband's arms. "I know you didn't want to play a public part in this; however, the situation has changed. People know you and your story..."

"You don't mean you plan to continue with the rallies?" Janine implored, distressed about Abe's arm. "You're injured!"

"Of course I'll continue. So will Rose. No one gets one over a Mazur!" Abe declared, his dark eyes filled with malevolence.