Chapter 22

"Forgive Rose, she can be a little irritable when she wakes up," Dimitri said, holding out his hand. "And when she's hungry. Guardian Dimitri Belikov," he said shaking Abe's hand.

"She takes after her mother then," Abe said indulgently. "Abe Mazur," Rose's father introduced himself, although it was unnecessary. Dimitri knew who Abe was and despite having about a foot on him, Dimitri had a very healthy respect for the man half of Europe's Moroi and Dhampir knew as Zmey.

"In that respect, she takes after her father, too!" Abe's Guardian chipped in, shaking Dimitri's hand and introducing himself as Pavel. He stared at Dimitri before letting his eyes wander across to Rose then back to Dimitri before smirking at the younger man. And that's when Rose realized... her father's Guardian was an Alpha!

"Yeah yeah—time for the family reunion later. Can we get out of here before I freeze to death?" Rose snapped, discomfited by this discovery. Could Pavel scent that Dimitri had already claimed her? The smirk he'd given Dimitri made it seem likely...

Settling into the back of her father's car, Rose all but sat on Dimitri's lap as he put his arm around her and started purring in her ear, stroking her hair. By the time they reached the private airport five minutes away, she was already asleep. It was understandable since they'd spent the Moroi night awake huddled in the back of the van waiting to escape Court.

"I'll carry her," Dimitri said, unbuckling his mate and effortlessly scooping her into his arms. Dimitri followed Abe across the tarmac, Pavel bringing up the rear, juggling the duvet, pillows, Rose and Dimitri's duffel bags and the enormous bunch of roses. Inside the luxuriously appointed plane, Dimitri placed Rose onto a butter-soft leather chair, fastening her belt before surrounding her with the pillows and duvet he'd let her keep. "If you have any pillows, blankets or similar on board, can you bring them out? We'll need them."

Pavel searched the overhead compartments, locating several blankets and pillows. Dimitri put them on the chair opposite Rose, knowing there was no point in trying to position them for her. Sitting in the seat beside her, Dimitri took Rose's hand as Abe took the leather seat opposite his. Pavel sat across the aisle from Abe, the four remaining silent as the plane lifted into the sky. Once they had leveled out, Abe started.

"So, Belikov? How do you know my daughter is cranky when she first wakes up?" Abe asked, his tone icy. Dimitri's eyes dipped across to Pavel's and sure enough, the dude was smirking.

"How much has Guardian Hathaway told you about what's happened?" Dimitri countered, wondering how much he'd need to disclose.

"That Rosema... Rose is in trouble and needs my help."

"Did she mention Rose recently discovered she is Omega?"

"Janine said something along those lines," Abe admitted, not telling Rose's boyfriend that he'd spent every moment during their flight to the States reading up on what that meant for her.

"Well, before Rose learned she is Omega, we discovered we are mates."

"An Alpha's mate and an Omega... What are the chances?" Abe said his voice still cold. "That must have made things difficult?"

"Well, it would have been easier if she wasn't Omega," Dimitri agreed warily, "but I love her, and she loves me. We're in this together."

"So, Rose has gone through an estrous?" Abe asked, his eyes dark and menacing.

"Yes..."

"And you were with her?" Abe growled.

"Also yes."

"So you've slept with my daughter?"

"Enough!" Rose snapped opening her eyes and glowering at everyone. "You, old man," she said pointing to Abe, "have not been part of my life until now. You don't get to do the menacing father thing. Dimitri is the man I love. I am his mate, and he is mine. You might not like it, but you need to deal with it."