Chapter 46

"Does that mean you'll be a mob boss?" Lissa asked Rose. The two were sitting in the Dragomir living room while Christian pottered in the kitchen. Eddie and Mason were nearby, just out of hearing distance, giving the two friends the illusion of privacy.

"I think Baba intends Dimitri to take over that part of the business," Rose admitted. "Not that I think he does a lot in that area anymore. It's mostly high-interest loans these days." High-interest loans sound better than extortion. But if the hat fit...

If Lissa was surprised by the blithe way Rose discussed the less savory aspects of Abe's empire, she didn't mention it. While Rose was still her best friend of many years, the time Rose had spent in Russia and Turkey with Abe had changed her and opened her eyes. The days of Rose adhering to the ideal that Dhampir protected Moroi, and that was all they could do with their lives, had been replaced by more pragmatic beliefs. Now if a Moroi needed a hush-hush loan, at exorbitant rates, then Rose was happy to oblige them!

"It will suck to have you so far away again," Lissa said with a sigh. "It seems like we never see each other!"

"I know," Rose replied. "But we do heaps of work in New York, so I'll still come and visit every time we're nearby. Now - tell me what you're planning to wear for the swearing-in?"

For the next half hour, Lissa discussed the look she wanted to achieve, the two young women going upstairs to Lissa and Christian's room where Lissa tried on various outfits for Rose to assess. They eventually decided on a pair of black pants with heels, a pretty button-up shirt topped with a fitted peplum jacket. More modern than the tweeds and twinsets she'd worn to Royal Council meetings, Rose thought it was important Lissa had a less stuffy look now she was an elected representative. The people had chosen her so she should be free to act and dress as her authentic self.

"You used to have no interest in fashion," Lissa teased as Rose suggested different mix and match looks Liss could create with the limited amount of younger clothing she had.

"I used to have no money and no expectations I'd ever wear anything except black and whites," Rose replied without rancor, referring to the standard-issue Guardian uniform she'd aspired to earn. "Once I started to work for Abe, I kinda had to look the part. Besides—it is kind of fun trying different looks."

"Yes, it is. Speaking of which, I really need new clothes... Before you head back to Turkey, think you could squeeze in a weekend shopping in New York?" Lissa suggested hopefully. Years ago, Rhea had intended to take the girls on a shopping trip to New York once Lissa and Rose graduated. It had never eventuated, however, Lissa loved the idea of making it happen now.

"Let's do it!" Rose said with a grin. Familiar with New York and what it offered, she was already thinking about which shops she wanted to hit up.

"I had a visit from Jillian and  Cassie Conta yesterday," Daniella Ivashkov said to her son, as she  fluffed his pillows

"I had a visit from Jillian and Cassie Conta yesterday," Daniella Ivashkov said to her son, as she fluffed his pillows. Released from the hospital but still convalescing, when Adrian had refused to return to his parents' home, Daniella had volunteered to move temporarily into his apartment to see him back to good health, which is why she was now making up Adrian's bed as he watched from an occasional chair in his bedroom.