Chapter 33

Rose was unable to hold back tears as she fixed the Dragomir family tiara onto Lissa's artfully arranged hair. As promised, she'd arrived early and helped her best friend, her sister, prepare for the biggest day of her life.

"Mom used to wear this for Royal functions," Lissa said, fingering the platinum and diamond decoration in her hair. "As children, Andre and I were allowed downstairs to see Mom and Dad before they left... I always thought Mom looked so pretty, and Dad so handsome."

"They're here looking over you," Rose replied, hugging her friend from behind, their eyes meeting in the ornate mirror of the dressing table in the master suite. While Lissa and Christian had stayed at the Dragomir Court townhouse for some time, Lissa refused to use her parents' rooms, until now. When Rose arrived that morning, Lissa announced that she wanted to prepare for her wedding in her parents' rooms. Without it being explained, Rose understood it would make Liss feel closer to them on this major day.

Natalie, Tasha, and Camille were all in another set of rooms getting their hair and makeup done. Lissa had gone first, followed by Rose, leaving the two to have some private time while the other women prepared for the ceremony.

"I'm so sorry about Tasha," Lissa murmured, yet again.

Rose rolled her eyes but smirked. From the moment she'd arrived, Tasha inflicted a blow by blow description of her sex-life on everyone present. As Christian foreshadowed, Tasha had lost none of her interest in Alpha males, so was thrilled to announce she'd found an unmated Alpha in his thirties who'd taken her up on her undoubtedly blatant offer for a roll around the sheets. She'd been describing, in detail, an Alpha's knot when Camille interrupted.

"Rose would know all about that... Is an Alpha really so much better in the sack than a Moroi or Beta Dhampir?" she quizzed curiously.

"I wouldn't know. My husband was my first; I don't have any comparison." Yet still Rose smiled. She doubted lovemaking with a Moroi or Beta could surpass what she experienced most nights with her Alpha husband.

"Really?" Natalie asked. "I heard the rumors and assumed you and Lord Adrian Ivashkov had..."

"Ugh! GROSS! I have never had anything to do with Adrian, especially in that way!" Rose snapped. "He might have been interested in me, but I can assure you the reverse was not the case!"

Natalie looked unsure, causing Lissa to step in.

"It's true, Natalie. Adrian didn't hide his obsession with Rose. She did nothing to encourage him—in fact, she did her best to avoid him."

"I'd avoid him, too," Camille declared, an unexpected ally in the discussion. "He'll sleep with anything and anyone! I'm not saying you want a guy to be a virgin, but who wants to be the latest notch on a very crowded bedpost?!"

While Natalie was still uncertain, Camille climbed a few points in Rose's esteem.

It had been interesting interacting with the three Royal Moroi also there to support Lissa as she dressed and prepared to marry Christian. Tasha remained completely unchanged. Not mentioning she'd ever had an interest in Rose's mate, Tasha's chat was all about herself and her, mostly venereal, encounters. While uncomfortable to hear, Rose found comfort in the fact that nothing had changed. Tasha still saw Rose the way she always had.

Camille, however, treated her differently. Even at St. Vlad's, Camille had been an ardent follower of fashion and haute couture. A privileged daughter of a prestigious Royal family, Camille had always had the money to dress well. While Rose couldn't give a shit about labels, her status as the second-in-charge at Mazur Industries found her dressing professionally and more to the point expensively. Visiting fashion shoppers in Paris, New York, and Turkey, Rose allowed them to select items each season, ensuring she looked like a well-healed businesswoman and the daughter of a very wealthy man. Rose didn't feel any different from the young Dhampir who used to dress in hand-me-downs and cheap knockoffs—but Camille saw the difference in Rose's status via her attire.