Chapter 13

Alberta sat in an armchair, watching Rose cuddled against Dimitri. While the guy seemed legit about his assertion they were mates, she was unprepared to allow anything until she heard it from Rose's lips.

That Rose was Omega coming into estrous was clear enough. The nesting and her demeanor all screamed what was going on. Alberta had only seen two Omega present before. The first was when she was a Novice. A female Novice had evolved during Alberta's sophomore year. Undetected until it was too late, the Omega's experience had been the worst imaginable. From that perspective, Alberta understood Court's directives that every Omega receive estrous suppressing drugs then be brought to Court for their own protection.

The second presentation Alberta witnessed was during her first year working at the Academy. The rarest of the rare, she'd been present when one of their juniors, Ambrose, had presented. Heterosexual male Omega were the least common presentation, and she'd been there first hand when he'd been drugged and taken to Court. Unmarried, but now lover to Her Majesty Tatiana Ivashkov, he'd made the best of his situation. Yet it wasn't a life Alberta wanted for Rose.

Much as she did not want to admit it, being Belikov's mate was probably Rose's best option—particularly if they were genuinely mates and fated to be together. Still... Alberta would not rest until she heard Rose tell her that!

"She's waking," Dimitri warned in an undertone as Rose started to stir on his lap. Her movement and enhanced scent did little to stop his arousal. Recognizing he needed a clear head for the next little while, he imagined Babushka in her swimsuit. It was enough to quell even the most ardent of passions!

Rose opened her eyes, immediately nuzzling into Dimitri's neck pulse point, seeking comfort via his scent.

"What's happening, Comrade?" she rasped, sounding much more like herself now she'd rested a little.

"Have you wanted to make a soft, warm space?" Dimitri asked ignoring her question, doing his utmost not to worry his mate.

"Yes! I don't know why, but it has been freaking me out!" Rose replied tensing in his arms. Purring in response, Dimitri waited until Rose was calm again.

"What else is going on?" he asked.

"I'm getting weird hot flushes. And it aches... Down there... And I'm wet," she added in a horrified whisper. "Not just a little bit—I mean a lot!"

Dimitri nodded, unsurprised. If his book were to believed, these were classic symptoms of an Omega going into estrous. The equivalent of an Alpha rut, an Omega in estrous put out a powerful pheromone that attracted numerous partners. Additionally, their body made a natural form of lubrication referred to as 'slick.' During their estrous, an Omega might be jittery, scared, defensive and nervous. In a first estrous—like Rose was experiencing—it was normal for an Omega to be particularly agitated. And a lack of a confirmed mate made estrous dangerous for an Omega as they were particularly vulnerable.

"What's going on, Comrade?" Rose asked again. "What's happening to me?"

Dimitri's eyes met his mate's. "We think you're going into estrous, Roza. We're not sure why, but you're displaying classic Omega behaviors."

"We?" Rose lifted her head from the crook of Dimitri's neck, peering around.

"Hello," Alberta greeted, her voice gruff but loving. "Guardian Belikov called me over because he was worried about you."

"Is it true Alberta? Am I becoming Omega?" Rose asked her voice still raspy.

"It's looking a lot that way," Alberta admitted, moving her chair close to Rose's pillow 'nest' and grasping her hand. While Rose allowed the contact, it didn't escape Alberta's attention that Rose didn't move from Dimitri's grasp or lap.