Chapter 8

Dimitri climbed off the bus, busying himself talking with Matthews while he unobtrusively observed the Princess and her retinue. MacAllister and Chaung were preparing to enter the mall with Vasilisa, accompanied by Christian and Tasha Ozera. Roza seemed to say her goodbyes to them. While Dimitri would like to follow his mate around the mall, his sisters Karo, Sonya, and to a lesser extent Viktoria had made their demands clear; they wanted American clothing!

Once he'd seen the Princess and the Ozeras head in one direction, Rose in another, Dimitri set out toward Macy's. With no idea how to navigate the space, he handed his list over to the first store assistant he saw, allowing her to guide him around the store, collecting the items his sisters had ordered. When the numerous jeans, shoes, tops and even underwear had been purchased, Dimitri was ready to ask about something for his Rose.

"I have a new girlfriend," Dimitri said to the store attendant wondering whether girlfriend was the correct term for it. "I want to give her something special for Christmas. We are still courting, so I don't want to overwhelm her."

The store assistant apparently did not understand what courting meant, so angered Dimitri by suggesting excessively sexy lingerie.

"You misunderstand me," Dimitri barked, frustrated at the tenth set of lacey underwear presented to him. He was only angry because the thought of Rose wearing it turned him on ridiculously... "We have only recently started dating. I know she is the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with, but I want to romance her!"

"Pardon me," a senior sales attendant said, stepping in after hearing Dimitri's explosion. In his forties, maybe more, he seemed to understand what Dimitri was after. "Perhaps I can help you shop for your special lady?" The other store assistant disappeared, much to Dimitri's relief. "Tell me about her."

"She is short, curvy but slim. She has dark hair and eyes and is beautiful. I want to buy her something but not too much."

"What about jewelry? If it's a relatively new relationship, perhaps something more casual like a bracelet or anklet?"

He led Dimitri over to the jewelry area, bypassing the locked cases with diamonds and other colored stones before reaching a cabinet with various gold and silver lengths.

"Show me the anklets," Dimitri said. An anklet she'd be able to wear under her socks which would protect it when she was training. Although it would need to be sturdy if she would wear it every day—and he hoped she would.

All the chains were pretty but too delicate for regular use. Dimitri was becoming disheartened when his eyes landed on a black and gold beaded anklet. "Can I see that one?"

The assistant passed it across to Dimitri. Black beads interspersed by small rose charms, it was strong but still pretty. He could see his Roza wearing it.

"Perfect," he said, the corners of his mouth turning up a little, "her name is Rose. I'll take it."

"I'm sure she'll love it," the assistant said before offering gift wrapping. Oh, to be getting jewelry for Christmas from a man like that, he thought, sneaking another look at the Adonis he was serving.

 Oh, to be  getting jewelry for Christmas from a man like that, he thought, sneaking  another look at the Adonis he was serving