Chapter 53

Lissa trembled as she held the thin plastic wand in her hand, eyes shut as she prayed for the outcome she'd hoped for. Married for years now, she and Christian had tried for a baby for so long. Now she was late, and Rose had assured her she had every early symptom, Lissa had her best friend on the phone as she conducted several pregnancy tests.

"Give them a moment or two," Rose instructed, happy to be the voice of reason and experience. Mother to Aleksander, and two months ago also Adelaida, she was calmer than her best friend as Lissa tested. Unlike Lissa, Rose had been through this before!

After a minute of silence, Lissa announced she was checking each of the tests.

"The first has a pink plus sign," Lissa gasped in shock but thrilled.

Rose grinned. She'd hoped for this for so long—hating it when she'd had to tell Lissa she and Dimitri were expecting a second baby when Lissa and Christian were still so desperately wanting their first.

"The others?" Rose asked, reserving her joy until Vasilisa's pregnancy was definitively confirmed.

"Two blue lines, and the electronic one says pregnant," Liss whispered, stunned now her most fervent wish had come to fruition! "I'm pregnant!" she said so quietly Rose could almost not hear. "I'm going to be a Mom! Christian is going to be a Dad!"

"And I'm going to be a god-mother!" Rose replied, referring to their long-held promise to be there for each other's children. Vasilisa and Christian were already Aleksander's godparents and were scheduled to make a similar pledge for Adelaida. Rose could hardly wait to make a similar promise for Liss and Sparky's baby—although her best friend had already regretfully announced they would be obliged to offer Tasha a position as a godparent as well.

"Get out the non-alcoholic champagne! We'll be there in a few days," Rose promised, disconnecting the call and climbing out of her nest to search for her husband.

"Here you are," she said, finding Dimitri in the nursery with Adelaida asleep on his chest, two-year-old Aleksander playing with his toy cars at Dimitri's feet. It was easy to forget how enormous and how Alpha Dimitri was, but with his daughter on his chest, the difference in their sizes was more apparent.

"I was reading to them," Dimitri explained, gesturing to one of the many Russian picture books Olena, Karo, Sonya, and even Vika sent regularly on the table beside him. Determined both children would be fluently bilingual, every day Dimitri would read to them in Russian, also conversing in Russian in front of them wherever possible. After so many years, Rose could hold a decent conversation in her mate's mother tongue, helped by their decision to only speak in Russian whenever they visited Dimitri's homeland and family.

"I need to go to Court in the next few days," Rose said, leaning her hip against the doorframe and grinning at the sight in front of her. Her mate was sexy all the time—but especially sexy when he was being Papa to their kids.

"Something wrong?" Dimitri checked.

"No. Actually, something is right. Keep it to yourself, but Liss was just on the phone. She's pregnant!"

"After all this time," Dimitri said with a smile, happy for the Moroi couple.

"She hasn't even told Christian yet," Rose explained with a grin. "She was too scared to get his hopes up, but needed some moral support when she tested."

"And you want to go to Court to support her?" Dimitri surmised.

"She doesn't have a mother to talk this through with," Rose explained. "And it would be nice for her to meet Adelaida... We could go for just a week? Baba and Mom were planning a visit there this week or next? We could meet up?"