Chapter 50

"What are you smiling about?" Dimitri asked the next morning, running his eyes over his naked mate as they lay together in bed. A sight he would never tire of, seeing Rose's sexy sinuous curves aroused him.

"I was thinking about the first time you saw Eddie and me fight at St. Vlad's. We'd gone running together without him, but you didn't want to hurt his feelings, so you lied and told him we'd met by accident on our run, and then you suggested he and I spar."

"I'd almost forgotten about that," Dimitri said, his mouth pursing, recollecting the earliest days of their relationship. It had all happened so fast. "You beat Castile then landed on top of him. Even then I didn't like another male being that close to you."

"I would have made a great Guardian," Rose stated a little sadly, remembering her past. She and Dimitri still worked out every day, and along with Abe's Guardians, he'd made sure Rose built on her skills from the Academy. When they'd lived in Turkey, she'd considered the Mazur Guardians there Abe's. Having a dedicated Guardian of her own in New York would take some getting used to.

"You would have," Dimitri agreed. "Instead soon you'll have Meredith guarding you, and I'll have Eddie." Dimitri chuckled, thinking about the younger, smaller Dhampir being his 'muscle.' Still, Abe was right; it paid to have a second of sorts, and since he found it hard to tolerate other Alpha around his mate, a partnered Beta and friend was the better option.

"I rang Liss earlier. She will tell Mase and the others they have to be reallocated and also about our allocation offers today. Once they've got their heads around it, she'll suggest they ring us to go through the details," Rose said.

"I'll prepare some paperwork to send across for them to consider," Dimitri replied. As Abe's lead Guardian, since he'd accepted his allocation as a Mazur Guardian, the practicalities of anything to do with Guardians had fallen to him. He'd agreed to continue to look after things until Abe found a new lead Guardian, after which Dimitri would just manage those based in New York. "Did you want to do the standard contract, or something different?"

"Maybe the standard with the option to negotiate refinements?" The gig they were offering Eddie and Meredith would be dissimilar to that of a standard Mazur Guardian. Since there would be little call for protection during the days spent in the office, during those times they'd planned to have the duo helping with business-related tasks. It was when Rose and Dimitri were outside the safety of their office or home, or at Court when a more typical guarding situation would occur. They needed hybrid Guardians—people who understood the Dhampir and Moroi world, yet also had the skills, education, and experience to operate outside of it. As graduates from a human college, Meredith, and Eddie, were unusual amongst Guardians. Even had they not been friendly with Rose, their backgrounds predisposed them for a position in the New York guarding team.

Mason's allocation offer was also atypical, so would also need to be flexible. It would be all expenses paid, and the guarding schedule would not be arduous, but it was hard to articulate all that in a contract when the level of support needed would vary so often depending on where Abe and Janine were at any given time.

There was no guarantee the three would accept their offers. As private allocations, they could decline them and take their chances with a Court-assigned allocation. However, Meredith's comments about loving New York, and doing something more with her life than guarding, hinted to Rose she'd be receptive to the allocation proposed. Whether Mase would choose to guard Abe and Janine was another matter, although he'd be an idiot to decline. Traveling the world, all expenses paid, visiting amazing places - it was a Guardian's dream allocation.

"Do you think they'll accept?" Rose asked Dimitri.

"They'd be silly not to. They won't get anything better in a general allocation," he voiced with authority. He'd been through a few allocation rounds, and knew that no matter how skilled the Guardian, a good allocation was never a given! If he'd been offered an allocation like any of these he would have grabbed it with both hands and not looked back.