Chapter 49

"How bad is it?" Dimitri asked Abe when he walked into the older Moroi's office later in the afternoon. He hadn't seen Rose since their discussion several hours earlier, and now she was nowhere to be found. Sampling her mood through their bond, Dimitri knew his wife was ropeable, so he'd given her time to cool down.

"Bad enough she convinced Janine to go shopping with her..." Abe said, leveling his dark eyes at his son-in-law. "What did you do?"

Dimitri sighed.

"Three of Rose's friends from the Academy are being reallocated from Lissa and Christian's guarding team. Two of them, Eddie and Meredith, are a couple and will be separated. Rose is sympathetic and thought Meredith could potentially be her Guardian, and Eddie could guard me so they could stay together."

"You didn't like the idea?" Abe asked.

"No, it's not that. Meredith and Eddie went through Lehigh with Christian and Lissa. They've both earned degrees, which would be an advantage if they were to be involved with the business. It's the third friend which is the issue. Mason Ashford. He's also being reallocated from the Dragomir-Ozera guarding team, and Rose wants to offer him an allocation."

"What's the problem with that?"

"He likes Roza," Dimitri said, followed by an angry, possessive growl. Even thinking about Mason pushed all Dimitri's buttons. "He has ever since she was at the Academy. Even now, I don't like the way he looks at her. It aggravates me!"

"Then tell her that. Explain that he sets off your protective Alpha side. She's your mate—she'll understand," Abe said.

"Um, about that... I kind of said that Mason would not be on the guarding team. That I forbade it," Dimitri admitted sheepishly.

"You forbade it?" Abe said, staring at his daughter's mate incredulously. "You used the F-Word to a Hathaway woman?!"

"She's a Belikov," Dimitri mumbled.

"Semantics," Abe replied, flourishing his hand dismissively. "Son, telling a woman you forbid her to do something is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Rose will now be more determined than ever to employ the young man. If I was you, I'd work on finding a suitable role for Mason, because if I know my daughter like I think I do, he'll be on your team as soon as you get to New York!"

Dimitri groaned, recognizing the truth when he heard it! He was such an idiot. If he'd taken the time to explain his concerns, then Rose would probably have understood. Now he'd be forced to have a wannabe lover near his mate twenty-four-seven! He was a freaking idiot!

 Now he'd be forced to have a wannabe lover near his mate twenty-four-seven! He was a freaking idiot!

"...and then he said he said he forbade me to offer Mason an allocation!"

"He didn't?!" Janine said in faux horror.

"He did!" Rose replied, confused when her mother started laughing moments later. "What?"

"Why do you think Dimitri doesn't want your friend on the team?" Janine asked, despite already suspecting the reason.