Chapter 52

If Dimitri was difficult leading up to his rut, as a father to be, he was almost unbearable! Two weeks after their season, and two days of worshiping the porcelain throne many times, it surprised neither of them when Rose produced three decisively positive pregnancy tests. Proud they'd achieved their goal straight up, Dimitri wanted to announce to the world that baby Belikov would join the family before the end of the year. A little more circumspect, Rose begged Dimitri to keep things on the down-low until they were at least out of the first trimester.

Reluctantly agreeing to Rose's demands, the couple did not tell anyone. Meanwhile, Eddie and Meredith pretended to be oblivious to Rose's frequent bathroom trips and the seemingly never-ending books about pregnancy and childbirth that occupied more and more of Dimitri's office desk. Refusing to let his mate outside their apartment and offices a floor below, two weeks after their happy discovery, Rose was ready to throttle Dimitri.

"I'm pregnant, not handicapped!" she snapped, growling at her husband and mate as he again attempted to carry her from her desk to her nest so she could nap. "I can walk, work, and take care of myself!"

Dimitri paused, uncertain. He worried about Roza exerting herself, yet he also worried about her becoming angry. The books had suggested that was not ideal, either.

"The books all say normal activities are healthy for mother and baby," Rose continued, pointing to the teetering stack of pregnancy tomes on Dimitri's desk, knowing they substantiated her claim. "I need to be me. I'm pregnant and everything is about to change, so I need to be myself while I still can!" Tears trickling down her cheeks, Rose found it hard to admit to Dimitri that she was overwhelmed about becoming a mother—especially since no one else officially knew she was expecting. There was no one she could talk with.

"Ok. Just please take it easy," Dimitri begged. He couldn't explain to Rose just how much knowing she was carrying their baby excited yet alarmed him. All his protective Alpha feelings had amplified exponentially. Were it up to him, Rose's feet would not touch the floor for the next nine months. "Why don't we go to Urvan and Alevtina's tonight? We can eat early if you're tired?"

Rose moaned in excitement, thinking about the dishes the Siberian couple made every night. The closest she'd found in New York to Olena's food, gorging on Russian treats was appealing!

"Make a reservation," Rose demanded before standing up and moving toward the outer office after explaining to Dimitri she wanted to sleep in their apartment upstairs. Seeing Meredith, she gestured for her to follow. Her last week as Rose's Guardian, now she'd officially passed her CPA certification, Rose wanted to bitch to Meredith, sleep for a few hours, then dress to go out. After two weeks housebound, the prospect of leaving their apartment and the hotel which also housed their office was appealing. Plus, there was the fact she was always hungry!

"So what... six weeks in? How many more to go?" Meredith asked, grinning at her boss and friend now they were alone, letting her know she knew their secret.

"Far too many," Rose groaned, knowing as her waistline expanded Dimitri's protectiveness would get worse, not better!