Chapter 47

Only a few days later, the old St. Vladimir's gang was onboard Abe's plane headed to New York. As per Rose's suggestion, Lissa and Christian were guarded by Eddie, Meredith, Mason, and Celeste. Abe also sent three of his private Guardians, plus there were Dimitri and Rose. Since they'd be staying in a secure building in one of the safest areas of New York, Rose wasn't particularly worried. Strigoi weren't frequent where they'd be.

"I can't believe we'll be staying in an apartment in the Upper East Side!" Lissa gasped. "I've only seen that area on Gossip Girl!"

Being her first trip to New York, Lissa was understandably excited.

Rose giggled. The Manhattan hotel acquisition had heralded the start of her and Dimitri's involvement with Abe's businesses. At his instance, the family had reserved the top floor of the building for themselves, paying for it to be fitted out as a private residence with plenty of bedroom suites, expansive staff quarters, office facilities and even a private rooftop garden with a private pool and spa for when they visited. Staying in temporary accommodation sucked. This way they had a dedicated place of their own, which they could decorate to their tastes and preferences. Right in the center of things, it was large enough to give them a sense of space and tranquility while still feeling like a home. The bulk of the redesign and decorating had fallen to Rose, interpreted by a local designer, so it was no surprise it was her favorite of Abe's many residences.

"Does it really overlook Central Park?" Christian asked, attempting to prepare himself to stay. Like Lissa, he'd never been to New York.

"Sure does," Rose answered, grinning. "It's right on fifth. Since we have the whole top floor and rooftop, there's nothing to block the view."

"I can't wait to see it!" Lissa sighed, beside herself to finally visit the Big Apple. A lifelong dream, it thrilled her Rose would make that milestone with her.

"You're going to love it," Rose declared, grinning at her best friend. "We will have an amazing time! I guarantee it!"

"Oh  my God! You make it hard not to hate you," Meredith moaned as she stood  in the spacious lounge room with Lissa, Rose, and Celeste looking out  over the patio to the verdant treetops of Central Park

"Oh my God! You make it hard not to hate you," Meredith moaned as she stood in the spacious lounge room with Lissa, Rose, and Celeste looking out over the patio to the verdant treetops of Central Park. "You've got a sexy husband, you get to do more with your life than just guard, and you live in a place like this!"

There was a moment of awkward silence. In her amazement about the apartment, Meredith had forgotten she was standing beside her Moroi charge.

"I am pretty lucky," Rose agreed, slipping her arm around Lissa's shoulder and giving her a gentle squeeze as if to tell her Meredith hadn't intended to offend with her thoughtless words. She was very lucky and while being a Guardian had once been Rose's goal, she didn't regret that fate had other plans for her.

"I'm jealous as hell, too," Lissa said smiling, pretending not to have noted Meredith's comments about guarding.

"Well, I hope you'll enjoy yourselves this weekend," Rose said, moving the conversation along. The men in charge of the luggage, Dimitri was showing Christian, Eddie, Mason, and the other Guardians to their rooms. Wanting to spoil her friends, Rose had put them in rooms with the best views. Eddie and Meredith, still a couple, would share a room, as would Lissa and Christian. Celeste and Mason each had a room to themselves, with Rose and Dimitri claiming the expansive master suite. Abe's Guardians would be accommodated in the adjacent staff quarters. While they lacked the views of the park the other bedrooms enjoyed, they were nonetheless luxuriously appointed, and better than Guardian quarters just about anywhere!