twenty two

[Trigger Warning: mentions of depression/suicide]

"If you take this day off Haiver, you won't be coming back. Do I make myself clear?"

Charlotte had been sitting in her Boss's office for more than twenty minutes now, pleading her case. It was times like this Charlotte knew she was damned to hell, but she would happily drag people like her Boss down with her.

"I don't see how this is at all fair, I produce more work in one day then everyone else in that office does in a week." Charlotte was certain she could be heard from outside the stuffy booth of an office, but she wasn't too bothered anyway as most her colleagues looked at her like she was the soul cause of 9/11.

"That may be so, but would you like for me bring up your past record Charlotte? You barely sat down on that seat out there and when you did you were too busy playing a child's game." Charlotte's Boss bit and she felt the blood circulating through her body. Just because he doesn't appreciate the art of different coloured squares combining to make an even bigger square, doesn't mean it's a child's game.

"Are you honestly telling me, Sir, that if I take one day off I shall get fired, even if in return I work overtime and take on the additional tasks you set for your PA so you can wine and dine her?" Charlotte's throat clenched as soon as the words left her mouth.

"Excuse me Charlotte." Mr Insel's eyes had gone wide and blood-shot and he was leaning menacingly close to Charlotte.

"I'm uh--sorry Sir, I didn't, you know, um--" Charlotte stuttered. Hell, I hope your doors are wide open.

"No Miss Haiver, please elaborate." He leans back in his chair, animatedly talking with his hands.

Fuck it.

"It doesn't matter Sir, it was a mistake, I'm sorry. I won't go to the wedding." Charlotte scrambled for words.

"No, no I'm sorry Charlotte." Mr Insel licked his lips. "Sorry for Caspar perhaps, he's worked so hard over the years to keep your job for you and you stumble in here like you've just finished with a bottle of whisky, demanding the odds and shouting accusations and it falls through your fingers. Well hey, at least you can go to that wedding now."

"You're a bastard." Charlotte snapped, grabbing her file and jacket from the chair and storming out the office, skin prickled with anger and a little bit of fear and there wasn't a head that didn't turn as she stormed through the length of the office.

As she rattled down the flights of stairs and reached the main lobby, a hand grabbed her on the wrist and she span round, ready to fight off whoever it was for all it's worth. However, when she saw a wide-eyed, slightly lost looking Caspar stood there, she thought better of it.

"Where are you going?" He asked, like a Mother was leaving her child at a distant family relatives house for the weekend.

"Home." (Joe's but, if she called Joe's home, it was nobody else's business)

"Why? Work doesn't finish 'till five. It's only two-thirty." Caspar checked his watch.

"I got fired Cas." Like it wasn't obvious enough.

"Holy shit, what?" Caspar's eyed widened comically, and Charlotte would of laughed if the world was a better place.

"He's a dick. I know for years you've been holding this job for me but I--"

"You need to be there for Joe, right?" Caspar nodded his head like he understood but his eyes told a different story, displaying a concoction of hurt and mockery.