twelve

[Trigger Warning: mentions of depression/suicide]

"How do I look?" Charlotte asked as Joe stepped out of his bedroom.

"With your eyes." Joe mocked and Charlotte would lunge at him if she wasn't wearing a dress, however much out of her comfort zone it was.

Charlotte was wearing a plain black dress and leather jacket, whilst Joe wore a black pair of skinny jeans and a loose white t-shirt.

"Are you ready?" Charlotte asked, knowing full-well they'll both never be ready.

"You'll do great tonight, I know you will." Joe nudged Charlotte's side as they got in the taxi, bringing small overnight bags behind them and Charlotte thought that maybe that was the nicest thing Joe has ever said to her.

They both stared out the rain speckled windows and they both knew what they were heading into. Head first into a mass of drunken people whose brain to mouth filters would be in the gutter within hours.

As the last traces of light fell, they stepped out of the taxi and paid the driver, before turning and looking at the grand building that they'd collectively only been to a couple of times. Charlotte for the work parties held here in previous years, and Joe for his cousin's wedding and other family events.

There was only a scattering of people outside, and in the dim light it was hard to decipher who was who, not that Charlotte would know their names even in the broadest of daylight. The hotel lobby was much the same, although poorly lit. The receptionist knew, she didn't even bother to hide it, her somewhat lazy position snapped into a rigid pose, eyes cold on Charlotte as she asked how she could help. By leaving, Charlotte thought - but she just offered a faint smile and told her their room was under the name Haiver.

"Here is your key to Room 561, two single beds and an en suite bathroom. Enjoy your stay." The woman muttered and Charlotte grabbed Joe by the wrist because neither of them needed to be around someone like that any longer. Joe made a mental note to file a complaint about the hotel staff's attitude towards customers.

They took the elevator, and they knew they were much later than everyone else as the loud drum of music was still detectable on the fifth floor. The only advantage was that they passed no-one on the way to their room.

It was nice enough, but Charlotte hadn't stayed in enough hotels in her lifetime to compare. They put their bags down on their preferred bed and let out a deep sigh.

"Joe." Charlotte said before she could even think about what they were about to do.

He turned from looking out the window to Charlotte and his eyes were painted with fear.

"Tha--thank you for--fuck-- I'm just glad you're here." Charlotte let out an audible breath afterwards, the space in between the two feeling like the Oceanic.

"Come here you sop." Joe chuckled after a few long seconds, even though there was nothing humorous about the situation they'd landed themselves in.

Joe's arms were wrapped around Charlotte's and they stayed their for a handful of minutes, hearts beating against one another's.

When it actually became unacceptable to stand there any longer, they stepped out of the room and made their way down to the main hall, the sound of typical party anthems becoming louder by the second.

Before they stepped through the big wooden door, Charlotte wrapped her hand round Joe's lower arm and gave him an encouraging smile.

They were only a few steps in before heads started to turn, facial expressions saying hit me with a bus if I'm wrong but did the creepy girl just walk in with a murderer and they were so wrong, and so needing to stay away from buses.