Truthful

"I can't remember the last time I had Mac and Cheese." Shoto commented without emotion.

After we finished eating, I cleaned up our bowls, and we sat on the couch, watching a movie together. I didn't pay much attention to the movie - my mind replayed the events today, my feelings of frustration and uselessness coming back to the surface. Even though Shoto was here, I still felt lonely in my head.

"Are you sure you're okay, (Y/N)?" Shoto asked. "You seem to be thinking about something."

I sighed. "No, I'm fine. I'm sorry, let's just watch the movie."

Shoto hesitated before grabbing the remote and pausing the movie. "Hey! It's almost my favorite part!" I complained.

He sighed, before turning and taking both my hands in his. "(Y/N), why are you so isolated? Why are you so alone?"

I sheepishly looked away. "I-I don't know."

"(Y/N), I'm your friend." Shoto ran his thumbs over the back of my hands. "You can rely on me. Or did you already forget what happened at the USJ?"

"Oh, I remember USJ alright." My face grew red at the memory of Shoto carrying me bridal style to the medics.

"(Y/N), you can trust me. I trust you with my life. You can trust me."

I debated in my head what to tell him. That I don't have a family? That I can't even remember my parent's voices? That I'm just a loner?

"Shoto, do you remember what I told you at the hospital after the USJ incident?"

He nodded. "Your mom was Melody. I've heard about the circumstances of your situation."

I glanced down at our hands. His were both warm and cold as they massaged mine. Just be truthful. He was truthful to you, wasn't he?

"That night, when my parents were attacked, I was there. But I have no memories of it. I have no memories of anything that ever happened in my life since before that date. I can't remember our house, or my friends, or holidays, or even my parents. I can't remember their voices or their faces. Of course, I've seen pictures and videos of them and stuff. But nothing's jogged my own memory."

"That must be horrible." Shoto sympathized.

I nodded. "It is. The detectives think that whoever attacked my parents used their quirk on me to make my memories disappear. Their codename for this guy is Ghost, because they've got nothing on him. No one's ever seen something like this." I took a deep breath. "And it's just . . . I've grown up so fast, I don't remember ever being a child. I've just always felt so empty inside." I sniffled, trying not to cry in front of this handsome guy. "I'm sorry, I've just never told anyone this before."

Shoto was silent for a long time, still rubbing the back of my hands. Until eventually, his cold hand tilted my chin up to face him.

"You're not alone now."

He leaned in, as his hand underneath my chin softly pulled me closer. My stomach twisted like a pretzel, my heart beating so fast I thought it would leap out of my chest. I closed my eyes as his soft lips met mine, a tingle of electricity racing through my veins.