Boys of Fall

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 4   Boys of Fall

       There's a reason I don't want a girlfriend anymore. Sloan. There are girls out there who are awesome and then there's Sloan. She's ruined the idea of a girlfriend for me for a while now. Today is the perfect example. I had guys set up to make sure Laney got where she needed to go today without any problems. It was good that I did, Sloan was in her face again. Cam was late but he got there before Sloan could do much.
      Cam has been my best friend for years. I trust him as much as I do myself. Even though I know he absolutely doesn't like Sloan, he isn't going to lie about it. Sloan going after Laney and claiming me, is just like her. I have to explain to Laney this isn't true.
     "You better do something about her, man. Sloan is going to ruin the rest of college for you, if you don't find a way to get her to back off." Cam says, walking into my room.
     Ruffling my hair, I grumble walking around him and down the stairs. "I know! I'm trying."
    "She wants to send Laney packing. Sloan crawled all up her ass making it clear you are her property. Fortunately for you, our little gem Laney has a bit of feistiness to her." Cam grins. He's a sucker for a girl with an attitude.
     "She better not do anything to Laney! And don't get any ideas about Laney, dude. She's mine." I grab my keys off the counter and my gym bag.
     "I thought you weren't allowed any female commitments this semester? What about your deal?" Cam knows the main reason I made the deal was to get out of my death sentence with Sloan. I'm not about to live a celibate life.
    "If I had known that I was gonna have Laney in my bed every night, trust me, I would have changed that decision." I toss my bag over my shoulder.
     "So she's staying?" Cam asks, wondering the same thing I am. What happens after she's acclimated to the school and they move her?
     "As long as I can possibly keep her here, yes." I answered, the question lingering of what happens later.
     Just as I was about to leave to go get Laney from her last class of the day, she walks in with Regan. This is Regan's third year here with us and she is the perfect friend for Laney. Regan has a great personality, she's friendly, outgoing and she loves football. She has to be with Fitz as her brother. This means she can help Laney understand the game and get her to come to watch us.
      Cam and I look at each other wondering the same thing. How much did they hear? I don't think any of it. The girls are smiling and laughing as they walk through the door. The hard line of anger that was on my face changed immediately and I'm smiling too. My mood shifts instantly, the weight on my shoulders lifts and all that negative crap just disappears.
     How did this happen? When I'm in a bad mood it usually takes a while for me to get out of it. A good strenuous workout at the gym or a long practice helps but this is different. As soon as I saw Laney smile at me, the weight was lifted and it didn't matter anymore.
     "Ladies! Did you have a good day?" Cam grins at both of them. Regan blushes on the spot seeing him. She suddenly gets very shy. I watch the change in her demeanor and I don't understand how Cam just doesn't see it. Regan has a thing for him.
     "Aye! It was lovely. I did see your Sloan, Breyden. I think she wants to talk to you." Laney informs me, confirming what Cam just said. I can't help but feel annoyed again. I don't want Sloan's attention, I want Laney's and this bothers me. Mainly because I get the feeling she's not interested in me but also because I know I'm very interested in her and I have the deal with my dad on my shoulders.
     "She isn't my girl, Laney." I remind her with a smile but what stop there not saying what I really want. I want her to be mine. Laney. She's mine, even if she doesn't know it yet. I'm planning on making that happen, that's for sure.
     Wait! No girls, that was the deal with my dad. No girls this year. Shit this sucks!
     Dad has drilled it into my head for years, if you give your word, it's your bond. Integrity, respect, responsibility, it all rolls into a man's word. I gave dad my word on where my priorities were this year. But that was before I knew about Laney.
     Don't I have a responsibility to her, I'm her student guide? I gave mom my word to watch out for her. I need to honor that too, don't I?
     "Regan was nice enough to show me back, since we have our last two classes together. It'll take this off your shoulders too. I don't want to be a burden to you." Laney goes to the fridge and pulls out water for them.
      Burden? Is that what she thinks? Laney isn't a burden. I like spending time with her. I need to get her to see that.
     "Why don't you two come watch practice tonight. We can grab dinner after." I suggest looking at Cam, making sure that he'll join us. He's oblivious to the conversation and reading his phone messages. Probably some chick that wants to meet up. I smack his arm, getting his attention. Nodding my head for him to agree.
     "What? Yeah, We'll all go, I can tell the others." Cam agrees. At least he caught part of the conversation.
     "We've got quite the assignment to work on." Laney hesitates but I beg Regan, silently with my eyes, to convince her to come.
    "We can work on it in the stands, just bring your laptop with you." Regan smiles at Cam, but again, the guy's not paying attention to her. I can literally see her face fall when he doesn't even notice her standing in front of him. He steps forward to grab his stuff and almost knocks her, over finally getting his attention away from his phone and on her. "Ouch!"
     Cam grabs her shoulders, keeping her from falling over. "Shit! Sorry. Regan. I didn't see you there. Are we ready to go? We're gonna be late again."
     "Yeah. Regan, why don't you and Laney get in the car. We'll be right there." I instruct the girls without getting an okay from Laney that she's coming. Once they head out, I hit Cam upside the head. "You're a dumbass! What's so important that you ignored Regan again, then literally walked on top of her?"
     "I didn't ignore her!" Cam knows he did. All of us do. He's really bad about it too. Rubbing the back of his neck, Cam lets out a long sigh. "I didn't mean to, my dad sent me an application he wants me to fill out. I was reading it."
     "She likes you Cam, if you would look at her for two seconds you'd see it." I remind him.
    "I'm not ready for a girl like her. She's the kind of girl you settle down with, marriage and kids, that whole thing. She doesn't want me the way I am right now." Cam knows he'd hurt her if he went out with her. It's why he holds back. He likes her, he's just a chicken.
     He wants the party girls and one night stands while he can. I know Cam isn't meaning to hurt Regan. She's Fitz sister, he'd get his ass kicked if he did something stupid. He's careful to only mess with girls he would never get serious with. If we get drafted as hoped, that will end fast for both of us.
    We've been warned that if we want to go to the big dogs, if we want to be role models, then we have to stop the games. I need to get a manager soon. Dad thinks he can get a tape of me in front of one of the best, Matt McConnell. He handles Blake and Derrick Bradford with San Francisco. And I heard Nate and Dillon Segler, with Anaheim are working with him. The guy is a big name in sports management. I can't wait to meet him.
      We piled into the car and headed for the stadium. The girls have their heads together, talking quietly in the back seat. I'm driving and struggling to hear what they're talking about. Cam just shakes his head at me, nodding toward the light that's changed. I just want some time with Laney after this morning. I messed up with her and need to see if I still have a shot or if I've been permanently friend zoned. I need to make sure Laney knows I'm not dating Sloan. Sloan needs to learn that too.
     Once at the stadium, Regan takes Laney off to the stands while we head to the locker room. Regan will keep Sloan at bay if she shows up here. I have to trust that. I need to concentrate on my job on the field. If I have to come off the field and deal with Sloan, I will. I'll pay for it from the coach, but I'll do it.
     Reed greets us at the door, all smiles but not at us. He's looking past us at the girls walking away. I stop right in front of him and glare. Chesting up to him, I get into his face and bump into him. I've already warned this prick once. Reed just blinks at me like he doesn't get it. He probably doesn't. Nope he gets it, he just doesn't care.
      "She's a pretty one, Stafford. Are you keeping her nearby so Sloan doesn't go after her again or so no one else asks her out? I could easily see my face buried ...." His voice fades, letting my mind finish his sentence. Reed laughs as I lunge at him, only for Cam to get between us. Pushing me back, Fitz does the same to Reed. Both of them know, if we fight, neither of us play on Saturday. This isn't the time to lose focus. We need to both play this game.
      "You better shut up, Reed. You don't want to piss me off today." I growl over Cam's shoulder as he pushes me into the locker room to change. Cam keeps pushing me away from Reed, but the guy just isn't shutting up. That one that needs to get ass handed to him.
     Getting out to the field, Reed is still goading me. Crude comments, looks, hand gestures, all are pissing me off more and more. He keeps looking up at Laney then smirking at me, knowing he is pissing me off each time. He makes a run and goes past me, making some kind of smart ass comment as he passes.
     "I'm gonna ask her out, Stafford. I'm gonna take her out and show her how a real man can do her. I'll bend her over right in front of you. I'll even let you watch, you might learn something." Reed, who's the team's defensive safety, taunts across the line at me.
     He is just asking for my fist in his pie hole. "You'll never have her, asshole! Laney's mine! You keep your hands off her!"
     "That's fine. I don't need my hands to get her. She can just sit on my..." The coach yells his name and Reed laughs, thinking this is funny.
     "Ignore him, Breyden. You can't get in a fight, man. You're gonna have McConnell coming to see you play, not him. Don't let him do this to your chances."  Cam pulls on my chest plate to remind me where my mind needs to be.
     "I know, but I won't let him touch her, or talk about her that way. It's not right. Laney isn't that kind of girl." I huddle up the offense to try to get a minute away from Reed, but from across the field, he keeps talking shit.
                                   ~   ~   ~
     Regan and I work on our assignment, while the boys practice. In between, Regan tries to school me on the game of football and who the boys are on the field. She seems to be more interested in what the boys are doing on the field than the assignment. I'm not. I've worked hard to get here. I won't be sent home because I wasn't keeping my grades up.
     I keep my head down and work, I've got a lot on my plate, so it's important I get good grades. I'm going to have more when I have to get a job to pay for everything soon enough. Hearing a commotion out on the field, we stop what we're doing and watch as two of the boys get into it.
    "Oh shit! That's not good." Regan mutters, setting her stuff aside and standing up.
    I can't tell the difference from one player to the other but obviously Regan knows who's fighting. I stand up next to her, not knowing if we are to run down to the field or not. That's when we see several of the other boys get involved. It's like a pile up on the field.
     "Shit! Shit!" Regan looks at me like I should understand what's going on. "If Breyden gets busted for fighting with Reed again, he'll get benched for the first game. He's got a possible manager coming to see him. This could seriously screw with his career."
     "That's Breyden fighting out there?" I questioned, appalled by this news. When Regan nods, my eyes widen. Looking back at the fight, the boys have tossed aside their helmets and are in each other's faces.
     No one is stopping them. Why doesn't anyone end this? If they won't then I will. Standing up I start to charge my way down quickly to the field.
     Why would he be fighting?
     "Laney! What are you doing? Laney?" I won't stop. Something needs to be done.
     Regan is right behind me calling my name as we reach the track around the field. Sloan and her pack of girls are watching me too, but I pay no mind to her or the girls who are practicing their routine off to the side.
     Seeing the determination on my face and the direction of my attention, Sloan stops practicing to face the field, now hearing the commotion. I don't listen to Regan as she calls my name again when I walk briskly onto the field. I just know Breyden can't get in trouble.
     "Laney! You can't be on the field!" Regan yells and this seems to get all the boys' attention off each other and on to me.
     Breyden stops mid punch at the sound of my name. He turns around to find me just feet from him. He's not paying attention as the other boy lands his fist into Breyden's jaw. A whistle sounds immediately and everyone stops. Breyden turns around and looks sheepishly at the short man in the tracksuit and the whistle sticking out of his mouth. He's not going to stop me.
    Running over, now that the boys are more concerned with the bulldog heading their way, I grab Breyden's face, looking at the damage this idiot has done. "Are you mad? Fighting when you know you can't?"
    "I didn't start the fight! Reed did. I didn't even throw a punch, Laney." He explains, his hands holding onto my waist, his fingers kneading my skin. Looking past me, he nudges me away, seeing his coach headed our way. "Regan, get her off the field. We'll talk later, Laney. Just go with Regan."
     Grabbing my arm, Regan drags me to the side. I won't go any further, not until I know Breyden isn't in trouble. We listen as the coach charges into the mix of players and goes off on both of them. It sounds like he's going to bench both of them for fighting. Getting banned from the field, both boys start toward the locker room, still growling at each other.
     "It's okay they're just done for tonight. Breyden will still play, unless they fight again." Regan explains what just happened. It's only then do we head back up to get our things in the stands.
     We collect our books and bags then head to the locker room area to wait for the guys. As we approach, I see Sloan standing at the bottom of the stands, hands on her hips, watching us go. I have to wonder if she really cares for Breyden, why didn't she go to him instead of me?
     As the rest of the team comes in from the field, Cam sees us standing there waiting. He grins guiltily and walks up with Fitz. Both look sweaty, tired, and smell like the back end of a cow. They definitely are in need of a shower before anything.
     "I'm not sure Breyden's gonna be up for food. That got pretty ugly out there." Cam explains to us.
     "What were they fighting over?" I ask, not thinking about it not being my business. I guess I should've kept my mouth shut by the look on their faces.
    "You should ask Breyden, Laney. It's not our place to tell you." Cam says, repeating what my own brain told me, only it's functioning too slow for my mouth.
     "Regan, we're taking you back to the dorm. Breyden will take you back to the house, Laney." Fitz tells us the plan. "We can grab something there. We're hosting the party after the game on Saturday. If you guys want to come. Laney, it's at the house, sorry. Looks like you're kinda stuck. But Regan, you can come and keep her company, okay?"
    "And if I find a guy to hook up with?" Regan asks, looking at Cam for a reaction but gets nothing. Cam smacks Fitz's chest and heads in to change.
     "You won't, Reg. I won't let it happen. Every guy in the house knows this. You're safe, that's why you can come." Fitz explains only for Regan to curse under her breath.
     "I really can't wait for them to graduate." Regan grumbles.
     It doesn't take long before the boys emerge, their hair soaking wet, and anger still pumping off them. Heading to the parking lot we go our separate ways without saying a word. Breyden and I head to his car, quietly getting in for the short ride to the house. Neither of us spoke, but I can see his cheek is bruised, not from just the one punch I witnessed either. But it looks to be from several. Did they fight again in the locker room?
    We don't grab food but go on up to the bedroom. Without a word, I go into the bathroom to change and get a cold cloth. Coming out, I find Breyden in only his boxers sitting at the edge of the bed looking up at me. I ignore the heat swallowing my body and focus on the pain on his face. I see just how hurt he is and I don't like it.
    "What did he do to you?" I whisper, stepping closer to gently wash his face, patting carefully over the cuts and bruises. "Why were you fighting, when you know you've got a guest coming to see you play?"
      He turns his face away from me like a guilty child would. He's ashamed of his behavior, but still he's proud of what he did. I can see that if he had to, he would do it again. Moving his face back to mine, I wait for him to look at me. I want an answer.
     "For you." Breyden's voice is timid, like he's afraid of how I'll respond. "I didn't like what he was saying about you, so I... I swung back."
      "I'm not worth fighting over. Not for you to lose your career, that's for sure. Breyden, I'm perfectly capable of defending myself." I don't want him thinking I'm a mouse in need of protection.
    "I know you can, Laney. It's just..." Breyden huffs out a breath of frustration. Sliding me away, he gets up and paces the room. "Can we talk in bed? I just, I want to hold you." My eyebrows rise at this. "It calms me down, okay?"
      I look to the bed and back up at him. His bulky muscles tense and quivering as he pumps his fists open and closed. He is truly upset over what's happening and does need to relax. I can't think of a reason to not lie with him.
    "Aye." I'm curious about him. He likes to hold me in bed, but doesn't seem like the touchy-feely kind of person otherwise. He has girls swooning, night and day, over him but he's here with me. Is it just me he likes to hold, or a warm female in general?
     We crawl into bed and Breyden pulls me to him, right where he wants me. My head resting on his bulging arm, while we lay on our sides, face to face, his arms around my waist keeping me close. His fingers begin to rub circles on my back, slowly I can feel the stress leave him. Interesting.
     "I don't want you mad at me, Laney. This morning when we woke up and I... I was dreaming and I wasn't in control of...it just happens sometimes. I'm sorry, it's bugged me all day." He apologizes but it doesn't explain the fighting.
     "I'm not sure I understand, Breyden. You think I'm mad? I'm sorry, I'm not." I've not been mad at all.
     "I just... Things are a little complicated. I gave my word on something and I can't do it. I want this, Laney." Breyden sighs when he sees I don't understand. What is he talking about?
    I don't respond. Giving him time to sort his thoughts. Breyden stays quiet, looking at my face, watching his fingers run through my hair. His mind is working its way around to answer my questions. "Reed isn't a nice person to girls. He's made some pretty rude comments about you, and I didn't like it. I warned Reed to stay away from you. He doesn't treat girls right, Laney. I'm protecting you. Reed decided to push me about it on the field. He said a lot of stuff I didn't like. Laney, you need to promise me you'll stay away from him. I don't want him near you."
      "I'm more worried about you being hurt and the meeting you've got coming up. I won't let him near me. But you need to keep your distance too." I try to reason with him, but Breyden is hugging me before I can say another word. "Breyden?"
     "Come to the game Saturday? Regan will be there, she always comes, you can sit with her." Breyden hurries out.
     "Aye, she already asked me to go with her. I was planning on it." I tell him as his face lights up with the most beautiful smile.
      "Wear my jersey?" Frowning, I don't understand why. I've got plenty of my own clothes to wear. "It's customary that we have girls wear our jerseys to our games. I want you in mine when I play."
     I don't see any reason why not. If it makes him happy and helps him play better, why not. I'd be supporting the team and showing my school spirit.
    "Oh, Aye. I can do that. You don't want Sloan to wear it then?" I know he isn't claiming her to be his, but this seems like something she's probably done. It's personal, to wear a jersey for him.
     "No, I just want you to." Breyden brushes my hair back and snuggles in, content with this turn of conversation. "There's a party after the game. Stay with me at the party until you want to come to the room. We can stick together all night, okay?"
    "Aye, Fitz told us about the party. You won't be bogged down with me then?" I don't know if I'll be in a party mood.
      I remember the party they had the night I came into town. Breyden was the center of attention with every female surrounding him. I don't want to get in the way.
     "I want you by my side, Laney, all night. Promise me?" He pulls back to see my face. There's something else he's not telling me. Looking me deep in the eyes, I see how serious he is about this. "Please, Laney?"
    "I promise but I might have to pee. I'll want my privacy for that." I joke, causing him to laugh and relax as well. "I'm a wee bit tired. Good night, Breyden."
    "Good night, Laney." Breyden whispers, wrapping his arms around me. I'm buried against his chest, snuggled in as a child would a favorite toy. Breyden releases a long breath, relaxing completely and is out like a light .
     What am I getting into?

Please remember to vote comment and let me hear from you and if you are enjoying this book please remember to share it and any of my other books thank you ❤️