Today is the Day

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 34

Today is the day

Breyden

It's the day of Sloan's hearing and sitting in class just isn't keeping my focus. I need to know what's happening. The hearing starts at ten, glancing at my watch I calculate the time in my head. If I hurry right now, I can just get there in time. I want to see her in cuffs and an orange jumpsuit. I want to hear it from the judge and know she's not going to get out. I need to know my family is safe from her. She'll get to have her day to plea, she'll ask for leniency. It's her first official offense after all. She might actually get released on bail.

That's what worries me, she'll want payback

Rubbing the throbbing pain in my temple, and closing my eyes I listen to the professor drone on about environmental change. My neck hurts from every muscle firmly in knots, I'm stiff and achy rolling out my neck, shoulders. The fricking stress of this and not knowing what's happening is making it all worse.

Class continues to run its course and I don't remember a second of it. I'm too distracted to be here. The gym is the only thing that can help distract me. That's only because if I don't pay attention to what I'm doing I can get hurt, something I can't do right before the combine. I can work out some frustration, punch out my aggression and exhaust my mind and body.

In a rush I left class just to be able to do something. Clear out some of these cobwebs that are keeping me from moving forward. Blake cornered me last night with Matt to help me. I thought it over all night last night with only snippets of sleep. Even last night, I wasn't listening to Laney when we made it to bed. That's rare since her voice is just as beautiful as the rest of her.

She nudged me several times while she talked to get my attention. Never once did she get upset or annoyed with me. She's worried too. I don't blame her. With everything that's happened to her, she wants to be there to see Sloan go down too. Hell, Laney could have told me she was pregnant last night and I don't think I would have heard her.

No, I would have heard that

Changing into my gym clothes, I head out and get to work. One by one the guys join me. My support system knows how I work, understands my situation and won't let me go through this alone. Cam spots me while I bench press, Fitz keeps close, but I can see there's something eating him too. He doesn't mention it, but it's written on his face. He's got something big on his mind.

"Have you heard from Lance yet?" Cam asks as he guides the barbell to the rack over my head.

"No, but it'll be a while yet." I mutter, swiping my towel from the floor to wipe the sweat from my face. It's only been an hour into the hearing and we're all watching the clock.

"You okay?" I can hear the concern in his voice. Looking around the guys have stopped their own routines to hear my answer.

"How would you feel if it was Regan? I almost cut class and went to make sure she doesn't get off. If I thought I could say something that would make a difference in the case, if I thought I could make sure she went to prison and never had the chance of getting out, I'd be doing it. Lance and Cade are doing everything they can to make sure Sloan gets her time."

Moving away and to the bag I take my first swing. The impact has a satisfactory explosion of power vibrating up my arm. Thrusting out again with an uppercut, then a jab, that intensity accumulates. I understand why Blake encouraged me to use the bag last night before he left. It'll do for the moment to reduce my temperament and ease the level of stress that's building in me. Punch after punch releasing that twist in my gut that tells me it's over yet.