With This Ring

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 26

With This Ring

Georgia

I love weddings. That single day of beginning a new life as one. Two souls so in love they pledge themselves to each other for a lifetime of happiness. It's a day I always wished I had with the man I truly loved but my wedding was a business decision, a contract that was more a merger. A true failure in every sense. I swore that day to make sure my family married for love no matter who their partner was, as long as it was love I supported them.

I've been lucky. My boys have found wonderful girls to bring into this family. For that I'm grateful. This is a big happy family that stands together as one through good times and bad, we don't fail one another. The children that aren't our blood became family because their heart match our own. It's why Jake and Grace are with us, and Tyler, Matt and Chelsea were accepted so young as family. This is why Breyden and Laney are ours now. Why Jim is in my home and his soon to be ex-wife is sleeping upstairs.

I started working on a big breakfast for the hungry and hungover boys that will be waking soon. My mind is wandering into the past today. The second wedding of the week and the hardest for me. My past has caught up with me after all these years. A past that none of my family knows a thing about. And they won't, not today. Today is about Breyden and Laney. A sweet boy that could have been mine if my life had been changed once upon a time. A wonderful young girl that is such a gift to me.

It amazes me how one action, one decision in life can make such a monumental change in how you live. Those single decisions that don't seem that important at the time, in the future are at times extremely hard to bear. But we do bear through, we find strength in ourselves and we persevere and push through and move forward from those moments we feel like crumbling in and stand taller than we thought possible. My head is held high today because I know I'm stronger than I feel.

"You always did cook when you needed to think." His voice broke into my thoughts and pulled me from a dream.

"I've got an army to feed today. Almost two full football teams will be in and out of here all day. Those boys are always hungry." I keep my back to him and continue with my work. I can't face him alone, not again, after all this time.

"You could have just rented out a resort and let them take care of all this." He sat down behind me at the breakfast bar. "I'm sure Mike left you very well off."

I guess we're going to have this conversation

Turning around with a mug in one hand and my coffee pot in the other, I pour Jim a cup then my own. Wrapping both my hands around my mug to warm my fingers and contemplate my thoughts.

"No. He left us, that's all. I kept us going and better off through the years. Jim, I don't know what happened in your marriage and I'm truly sorry for any pain she's caused you. I'll do everything I can to help you through this." I offer only what I can as a friend. A very old, dear friend.

"I appreciate it, Georgie. I didn't want to make that call to you. I didn't want you involved but when Breyden said Jessica had already gone a few rounds with you over Laney at the hospital..." He sips his coffee and shrugs. "You were already involved."

"Cade is the best attorney I know. I know I'm biased but he's done well for my boys and the business. His brother Lance is in law too. He's working with Matt and is a corporate attorney for Blake and the other players and Emma just got her Architectural Engineering degree so she will be joining the company when she's ready. Of course, all the babies they plan on having all come first." I'm as proud of Viv's children as I am of my own. "Cade will be fair to Jessica but will do what's best for you and Breyden."