Thanksgiving

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 21
Thanksgiving

Laney

Working in the kitchen with Georgia and Viv was soothing compared to the hectic flight here. The boys were loud and excited to see the game and about getting to sit in a private suite. Breyden tried several times to get me to go with him to the game but I'm just not ready for a large crowd of people I don't know yet. I'm just still too much on edge from what happened and my nightmares.

I didn't answer Breyden when he asked me to marry him last night. I'm worried he'll regret it and want out. If he does, what will happen to me? I just need a little time to think about it. Breyden wasn't happy that I wanted to take some time but he agreed to get through the weekend before we decide on what to do. It's not like we can get married when we have nowhere to do it anyway. My heart is screaming at me to make the choice, but I need to be sure. Too much has gone wrong with this move already.

"Honey, why don't you start working on those potatoes. We're gonna need two big bags with all those boys here. Trust me I know how those football players eat. I swear sometimes I think we should just start our own NFL team." Georgia hauls two huge bags of potatoes over for me to start peeling and cutting into the biggest pot I've ever seen.

"Are ya sure this is enough then?" I tease but Georgia looks at me funny like she's seriously considering needing more.

"Afternoon ladies!" We hear a deep male voice coming from down the hall.

"Jake, sugar good you two are here already? Did you get Grace settled?" Viv asks as she fixes him a cup of coffee.

Jake sits at the breakfast bar, he looks tired and run down. I'm sure he's going through so much dealing with Grace's treatments and all. I've heard the caregivers have just as hard of a time with the disease as the patient. I can't imagine what he's going through.

"She's resting. I'm glad she's home though." Jake frowns then takes a long drink before he blurts out. "I'm gonna marry her. I have to ask her still but... Tonight if we can find someone. I don't want to lose any more time with her."

Georgia and Viv stop what they're doing looking over to Jake then each other. Slowly smiles creep across their faces. I can see a plan formulating in their heads. It's thanksgiving, a holiday, how would he be able to find someone to marry them on a holiday and at such short notice?

"You let us take care of everything honey." Viv nods to Georgia and wraps her arms around Jake as she guides him from the kitchen. "We'll need flowers, a dress for Grace, you need a tux darlin. Do you have a ring? Oh....I've got the perfect one to pass down to her."

I freeze listening to how simple they make it all seem. Looking down at the pile of potatoes I'm working on, I make my decision. "Breyden asked me to marry him last night."

"Oh? And you said?" Georgia is almost giddy with excitement as she leaves the stove to come over to me. "You did say yes, right sweet pea?"

"I wanted to think about it but... Aye, I want to marry him. He's the boy I've always dreamed of. I just don't want him to regret anything." Looking up I see Georgia has the biggest smile on her face.

"That boy is crazy about you. No need to worry yourself over that. We can make this a double wedding for you." Georgia offers but I shake my head no.

"I haven't told Breyden yet. I think I need to do that first." Suddenly this all seems so surreal. "I'll have to work around his schedule with school and games and practice. I'm not sure if we'll be able to...."