At Last

Thank you for reading Enjoy 😉

Chapter 20 At Last
Mature content readers advised

Breyden

Coming back much later than I wanted, I'm tired and frustrated. The cops questioned us over everything from the time Laney arrived to now. They asked about Sloan, how we met, and anything I might know about her. I can honestly say it's not much. Not until now did I realize just how little I know about her and her background. So much of what I thought I knew was what I assumed and not what she had actually told me. I'm not sure I knew her at all.

Walking into the Bradford's home, it's quiet, a dim light is on in the kitchen and there's a tray of snacks out for us. Apparently Georgia is used to having a house full of guys coming in late, hungry and tired. We sit down and eat, talking quietly about what's happened and what we've learned about Sloan.

She's from a wealthy family as we knew, her parents really don't have much contact with her unless she needs money. Sloan was raised by a nanny, her parents are constantly busy with work and their own social lives. It was sad to learn given my own background and close family. The cops told us that this wasn't the first time they had seen something like this. We were told to let them do their job and they would track her down and be in touch. It wasn't trust inspiring.

"You think they're gonna find her?" Theo wonders to all of us but looks right at me for an answer.

"It's not about finding her man. The bitch ain't hiding. Her parents will only buy her way out of it like they do everything else. Rich folks don't live in the real world, dude!" Zee answers for me but I don't agree.

"Not all." Everyone looks at me then. "The Bradford's and Drake's are loaded but they're not only helping us and Laney but they bought us a new house, Matt's signed me as a client and Georgia has taken Laney in. They're helping her get her visa, they got Reed arrested. I'm grateful for everything they've done for us."

"They aren't normal rich though. I mean, I like this family and all but it's not gonna last. People like this don't keep it up, ya know." Caleb agrees with Zee.

"This family isn't normal, you're right. They accept us for who we are. Most of them aren't blood related but they're family all the same." Cam looks at each of us. "I think that's pretty cool. I don't think they'll let Sloan get away with this shit."

One by one we said our good nights and the guys headed upstairs to their rooms. I couldn't sleep though. I was the one that brought Sloan into our lives, I was the reason Laney has gone through all the torment and pain. This is on my shoulders. Sleeping right now won't be happening until I can find a way to not feel responsible. It's going to be a long night.

The patter of feet on the stairs coming down and walking into the kitchen has me turning around and finding Georgia there watching me. Her head tilted to the side, her knowing eyes watching me with interest. Dressed in her pajamas and a robe, she moves through the kitchen to the stove. Glancing over at the big grandfather clock I notice it's just before two in the morning.

Why is Georgia up so late?

"I always like a glass of chamomile tea to help me sleep. It's very soothing. Care to join me?" Georgia puts the kettle on the stove and pulls out two mugs. I get the feeling it really wasn't a request. "None of this is your fault Breyden. Sloan did this to you kids, not you. You're taking something on your shoulders that doesn't belong to you."

Rubbing my face from the long day I look at her watching me closely. She's very perceptive of others. "I feel like Laney would have been better off without me. She's got such horrible nightmares now and she's not talking to me about any of it. I don't know if she just doesn't remember what happened to her or she doesn't want to tell me."