Family Entanglement

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 31
Family Entanglement

Mature content readers advised

Beckett

It's strange to be here. A part of this family but not. I've been alone since I was sixteen. This rambunctious and loud group is a lot for my quiet life now. I was once loud, troubled, the bad boy, in some ways I still am, but I was never happy. Not like this family is together. But it's nice to see how they've changed, gotten closer and accepted Quinn into their circle. That's not me. It's not who I am.

I'm the lone wolf, the black sheep, the bad boy, the outcast. There isn't even any physical similarities between us really, not on the Drake side at least. Emma and her pack are blondes, different shades but all light and bright, blue eyes, personable. Quinn and I have darker hair, hazel eyes and I'm not that nice.

They bound together though, when the little nurse went down for the count, the entire family came here for her. She's important to them. That's good. I think she needs them to beat this. Cancer, I heard Cade and Adam talking about it. Not that they asked me or included me in the conversation, but I have eyes and ears. I can see what's going on. Aunt Viv nudged me along with her, into a car with her and others to come to the hospital. So I'm here, sipping my coffee wondering when I can get out of this. I'm not meant to be around a big family and kids. It's not my thing.

"She's in surgery. It'll be awhile before we know anything." Quinn walks up and hands me a cookie. It's always been her thing with me, the way she apologizes when we'd fight. my lips twitch at the chocolate chip cookie and a weight releases from my chest. "Why are you here, Beck? You've been gone forever and suddenly, out of the blue, you just show up. Why?"

Running my fingers through my hair, and struggling with a good answer, I tug at the length of my hair. It's curling over my collar now and annoying me. Causing me to remember that I forgot to get that haircut I wanted before I saw her. Explaining myself, my situation when I left, isn't that simple. I'm not gonna lie to her. That was the promise I made myself before I got here. I would give her the truth.

"It's a long story, Quinn. I don't know if this is the time for it." I still don't know who I can trust with this family.

"We're gonna be here for a while." She plops down in a chair. "You might as well spill it."

"I'm not sure you want to hear this, Quinn. Our family it's not so squeaky clean and nice. They aren't like you think." I look around and see none of them are paying attention to me. The last thing I want to do is ruin what she's got going here.

"Talk or leave, Beckett! I'm not playing this game!" She demanded.

"Fine! I'm warning you, Quinn, it's not pretty." Sitting down next to her I sigh scrubbing my hands over the rough skin of my face and through my hair. "Do you remember when I got in trouble for stealing shit from Emma?"

Memory

"The thief doesn't come back!" Mike yelled at my mom. She pushed my behind her, guarding me against his wrath.

"He's your blood, Mike! Not some thief! He made a mistake. I'm sure you of all people can relate to mistakes!" Mom argued back, but her words don't make sense to me.  I'm not related to him or the Bradfords. They are friends of my mom's, but nothing else.

I don't even like the Bradfords. I'm treated like a charity case and I hate it. He can yell and scream and beat me, I don't care. I'm not sorry for taking the stupid thing. I guess I just wanted Emma to see me as someone who could hang out with her, someone besides the perfect Blake Bradford. She doesn't want to play with me ever. I didn't think it was such a big deal. I mean, it's not like she doesn't have other bracelets.