PhotoGraph

Thank you for reading. Please remember to read chapter 23 of Red Zone first if you are reading both books.

Chapter 13

Laney

The look on Regan and Quinn's faces breaks my heart. They heard the end of my conversation with the airlines and know I'm returning home. I can't stay here and continue this way. I need to feel safe here and I did with Breyden watching out for me but now... I saw the looks on Sloan and Reed's faces. I'm not safe from them at all.

"You can't just go!" Regan cries as I hang up the phone. I don't know what she wants from me. "You have to stand up to them. Breyden is just one guy, there's plenty out there. Take my brother! Please, he's an idiot but he'll treat you good."

After seeing Breyden lip locked with that girl and having Sloan smirk at me like she's won, what does Regan expect me to do? I've been threatened, beaten and lied to. I don't feel wanted here or even welcome. I may not have had anything left for me at home but at least I was safe. That's more than I can say for here.

"I don't see any choice Regan. I'm not wanted here. I made an enemy of the wrong person and Reed has been her lapdog punishing me every chance he gets. He enjoys it." I tell them not for pity but so they understand it's not them.

But I see the pity in both their eyes and I know it hasn't been easy on them to babysit me but I wasn't the one that asked them to. That was Breyden when he had an interest in me. I was wrong in thinking there was more. There wasn't, he moved on, Now I need to as well.

"Laney, just give Breyden a chance to explain. It really wasn't what it looked like." Regan shakes her head reaching for my hand as she tries to give me hope and I try desperately to control my eye roll as I shake my head in return. "He did that for you. I know it's warped and wrong how he went about it, but it's true."

Sighing, I fix Regan with a hard look. The same look my mother used on me as a wee lass. The kind that makes you shift in your seat because you know she sees you're full of shit. I was never able to lie well so I got the look often enough I learned to do it myself.

"So you're saying I didn't see Breyden inhaling that girls face off, or holding her on his lap like his pet. Are ya going to tell me he was giving her CPR, that he was saving her life then?" I know she has to see the truth in this. "I saw what I saw, Regan. And it's not just Breyden but Sloan and Reed. They hate me and no matter what will make me miserable here. I'm going home. I'm glad I met ya two but I don't fit here and I can't stay here with Reed after me the way he is."

I'm not suited for this place, for these people. I'm not one to cry over just anything but I think I've had more than my share of it. My ribs are still achy, my bruise on my face has finally healed but the internal pain of this happening is what wears on me. I know they tried, I just wasn't what Breyden wanted I guess. I won't cry over that but I will go home.

I can't fight the likes of Sloan when I don't have the same resources she does. I don't have the family and money to back me like she does or to keep me in the school much less in the country. I always knew I would have to return I just didn't expect it to be this soon.

"Then let's go out for drinks and have a proper going away." Regan says. "We'll have a couple drinks and wish you well then you can go in the morning to the airport." I have to admit a pint does sound good after today. I could go for drowning my sorrows a bit.

"I can't." Quinn says quietly. "I have a big test tomorrow and I don't like crowds."

I understand that. "Best of both then. Regan and I will go out and you can study, then we can all sleep here. A last sleepover." I offer knowing Quinn is meticulous about her studying. I understand I am too, more so now that I was sequestered in the library every night to avoid Reed.