Chapter 19

Luke's POV

"Luke, this is getting ridiculous," Calum sighs over the phone, sounding frustrated. "You don't have to do this to yourself - go get her back."

"Don't you see?" I say, my voice breaking. "I can't."

"No. No, I don't see." 

He's annoyed with me, and for good reason. It's nearly three in the morning and I'm calling to complain about my problematic love life. Calum probably just wanted to sleep. 

"What's wrong with talking to Kat and saying, 'hey look, I know I was a bit of a jerk to you, but I can't live without you' or some dumb shit like that you'd say?" he asked me.

My grip is so tight around the bottle of vodka I'd managed to get that it hurts. My head is spinning from the alcohol and the lack of sleep I'd gotten since I'd ended things with Kat.

"Calum, she went home with Blake. Why would she ever come back to me when she has Blake? I may have stood a chance before only because we were still dating and she would have felt guilty if she'd broken up with me. What's stopping her from jumping into Blake's arms now? Not me." I drag a hand down my face, resting my forehead against the cool glass of the nearly-empty bottle. "God I'm such a fucking idiot. First I let Celeste slip through my hands and now it's Kat? What's wrong with me?"

"You're not an idiot. You just dont have the best decisions sometimes." I laugh bitterly, but Calum keeps talking. "I believe that you can fix this."

"I don't," I say, hanging up the phone.

I tilt the bottle up, swallowing a few mouthfuls. The taste of alcohol is familiar, burning on the way down as I remember all of my failed hopes and dreams.

I don't care. I don't want them anymore if I can't have Kat. Without her, everything seems pointless.