(36)

Wails.

Wails fill the entire home once Tommy enters it. He has a smile on his face, he's ready to see his wife. Baring flowers he had picked up on the way and a hard on. He missed his wife.

But his world is flipped upside down in an instance.

"Jacob!"

Jades screams echo throughout the house, causing Thomas to drop his belongings and sprint into the house. He's quick, his heart rate beating faster than its ever. He didn't even think about his gun, once he heard his wife's cries, he had tunnel vision. To find her.

He followed his wife's screams, but stopped once he noticed a body laying down on the ground. Lifeless. It was in the kitchen, the back door was left open.

Thomas draws his weapon immediately, it's the maid. He rolls her onto her side, and looks at the colour that drained from her face.

"Fuck." Thomas is back on his feet. "Jade!" He shouts for his wife.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck!

I've been gone less than a fucking day!

He enters the dining room and sees all the blood and chaos before finally seeing her...

Present Day

Jade Shelby stares at the little boy who studies her. He's scared of her, she can see the fear in his innocent eyes. He stares at Jade as if she's some sort of monster. And for some reason, she assures herself that she is a monster.

Sat in a cold metal wheelchair, with her eyes hung low, and her body useless.

Thomas had asked if she could attend a gala with him, and for that, she was dressed all nice. But restricted to a chair.

Thomas was by her side, sat at the table. He had his hand on his wife's knee. He was so proud that she had finally said yes to being his plus one. It's been three months since Jacobs death. Three months, since that dreadful day. And this was the first time she felt okay enough to go out.

A band played in the back, as people danced in the massive ballroom. Jade's eyes lingered on the dance floor, but that only depressed her. So when she turned her head, she saw a child staring at her still.

"What are you looking at?" She asked the boy, not regretting anything.

"What happened to your neck?" The child was curious enough to ask. In his expensive suit, with his proper posture. He grew up wealthy, probably only six or so in age.

Jades fingers rose to the side of her neck, where she had forgotten to put on makeup. Concealing the scar of a deep knife.

If the knife went in an inch further, you'd be dead, Mrs. Shelby.

She remembered the doctors narrowed eyes as he told her those words. She was basically covered in bandages and gauze. Had nothing left in her, she had lost so much blood. And then there was the baby...

Her face grew hot and when she looked around, people were studying here. Jade's heart fell into her stomach, the whole room was staring at her.

Studying her. Watching her.

She could see them whispering. Some even laughing, she mind fell apart. Even though there was no such thing, and people weren't watching her at all. Once Jade thought she saw people looking at her, she ran with it.