(51)

Tommy hands me the keys, and we drive off Watery Lane. The people of Birmingham absolutely adore Tommy, and it's really nice to see him interact with them. After all, he was the leader of the Labour Party. People complained, and he listened, and I patiently waited, smiling every now and then.

Once we arrive at The Garrison, Tommy looks around the empty pub and frowns. "I think they're in the private room."

"Oh, I can stay-" I tell him, unlacing our bound hands.

"No no, come inside-"

The door to The Garrison creeped open, "Tommy and Jade! Look Charlie, they're here!"

I looked over and saw Curly and Charlie walk into the pub. I grin at the both of them, watching as they salut Tommy before embracing me. I remember when Charlie had drove me to Tommy's house, he shared stories about the man I was to get married to! It was incredibly kind of him, and Curly, well we shared a great dance during my wedding. They felt more of a family to me than his actual family did.

We exchange hellos, how are youse, and before I know it, Curly is ushering me to sit down in a booth. Tommy and Charlie briefly speak before Charlie shifts off into the private room.

"I'll be right back," He kisses the top of my head. "You okay to stay here with Curly?"

"Oh, don't mind me," I reply, picking up the cup of tea Curly had set down. He takes a seat beside me, and I grin. "I'll be here with my friend."

He smiles at me, it's crooked and boyish. He's so handsome.

Things have been really good between Tom and I this whole day. I can't help but be tremendously grateful for that. "You mean my friend." He bites.

"N-no, Tommy that is incorrect." Curly puts up a finger, grinning at me. He's an absolute doll. He is. "She's my friend too."

"Yes, you are incorrect." I laugh, "Tell 'em Curly."

"Drinks!" Curly shoot up like a cannon, "I'll bring us drinks."

"She doesn't drink alcohol, so don't even bother, Curly." Tommy inserts, snaking his arms around me.

I pout, and he smiles at me.

"Don't give me those eyes." He kisses me softly. 

We were going back to London soon, and I was so overjoyed. Before sitting down, I wrapped my arm around him and gave him a good long kiss. "Hurry back."

He nods, and kisses me back. "I will."

Curly retreats back with extremely stale biscuits and two glasses full of tea. I take a sip, nearly burning my mouth, but the mint is so delicious. Curly tells me about his life, and we end up chatting about things like the idea of heaven and hell. It's all very emotional, and I can't help but get lost in the thought of where Jacob is...

The door opens to the private room, Polly steps out, then Arthur. My cheeks burned up, and I felt all eyes on me. Embarrassment, annoyance, the idea that they're all looking at me, thinking I am some weak little girl who needs her husband. I look at my tea, unsure of how they've taken the news. They leave without a word to me, and finally, when Charlie exits the room do I stand.

"Is Thomas still in there?" I ask Charlie.

"Yes, he is."

Charlie's calling out of me, saying something but it's too late. I'm already walking towards the room when I hear voices.

"Tommy, wait, please! We should talk about this!"

"No, Lizzie! What we had it's over with, please."

I open the door once the family leaves and notice Tommy trying to exit the room but there's a woman wrapped around his body, instantly, my heart sinks to my stomach and I gape at him and her. Their exchange, their embrace. She grabs his face, kissing him tenderly.

"Tommy?" I whisper.

"Jade." He mumbles when he sees me. Like a man, he unloosens himself from the woman.

I press my hand to my mouth and spin around. I race towards the door.

"Jade wait!" He says, with a few strides, he's already right in front of me. Thomas grabs my arms, "Jade that wasn't-"

"Stop!" I yell once he attempts to reach for me. I steps back, looking up at him. "Don't touch me!" I weakly add.

"Let me explain..."

"Explain what?" I feel sick.

"She-I-"

I pout, telling myself not to cry. But I really do want to. I look down at my heels and feel my eyes watering. I blink, and the tears just stream down my cheeks. The idea of being a dancer at the club rattles me, I used to be the other woman for other men.

"Jade she kissed me, and it was about the fact that John was dead and she was lonely."

"So you kiss other women whenever they claim they're lonely." I slowly nod, I rub my tears away and look at Charlie. "Do you think you give me a ride?"

"Of course I can."

Thomas shutters. "Jade!" He turns to Charlie and puts his finger in his face. "Charlie no-"

"Yes!" I snap at him. "And if you need to follow us then so be it. But you stay in your own damn car!"

He shuts up immediately and swallows. "Fine."

"Fine." I walk around him, finally feel like I can breathe again.

It's raining when I step outside, and I look up and breathe. Air fills my lungs and I shut my eyes, effectively shutting him out. Water cascades over my body, and I sigh without ease. The sight of my husband and another woman sends an unruly chill down my spine.