(42)

I look at our plates to see two pieces of toast, with butter and strawberry jam. A cup of tea and bowl of mixed fruits. Breakfast doesn't get more exciting than this at our house. Especially with no maids or cooks, just Tommy and I in a little house.

He makes things warm, and comforting. He's been good at doing that, keeping me from going mad by making things effortless. Homely.

I look at my toast, and reach for the fruits as Tommy takes a bite out of his toast.

I lick my lips, placing a sliced strawberry into my mouth. I wonder if Maggie is going to show up today. I owe her an apology, and a bouquet of flowers.

"I have to go to Birmingham today." Tommy says. "Michael's back, I got the call from Arthur late last night."

Birmingham. The best, and worst place for me.

Jacob's body is buried there, beside his mum. Oliver's dead body was buried in our backyard. Right beside the shed.

Birmingham.
It's where I met Tommy. Right outside of the club.

I didn't know who the hell he was. This tall man who tried to protect me from William who was hurting me. God, it feels like years ago.

"Jade?" Tommy puts his hand over mine.

I look at him, realizing I haven't said anything this whole time.

I play with the fruits in the plate, lowering my head. "Tommy, you can't go to Birmingham. You know that."

"I was thinking maybe you could come with me."

I roll my neck, meeting his eyes. "No. It'll only open up fresh wounds."

He nods, but grits his teeth. He's holding back.

I drop the fruit and look at him. "What is it?" I ask, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just-" He inhales and exhales. "I just think it'd be good for you to be in Birmingham. With me. Let's just go, for the day."

"Thomas-" I roll my thumb over his fingers. I lick my lips and before I can let my thoughts take charge, I let go. I remember his words to me, pleading me to get better. To stop being so dependant on the small things.

"Okay." I sigh, "I'll come with you to Birmingham."

"Really?!" He asks, grinning the way he normally does whenever I agree to things like this.

"Yes." I roll my eyes. "You are ridiculous you know that?"

He grins and I lean in and touch his chin.

"I love you." I whisper before kissing him softly.

He smiles, "I love you."

I hate trains. I still remember Thomas and I moving from Birmingham to London. The big move. It took a long time to get most of the shit out of that house, and yet Tommy still owns the property of it.

I sit across from him as he gets lost in his paperwork. He's got his whiskey, I've got my tea. People who pass us on the train watch him. I can't help but do the same, he's a handsome man. And one to watch. He's got on his glasses, perfect circles over his eyes. He sits by the window, and every so often, the sun graces him.

"Tommy," I get bored easily.

"Jade." He raises an eyebrow. "I'm working, love."

"Yes, but I'm bored." I pout.

He chuckles, now dropping his pen. "I'm not having any fun over here, if that's what you're thinking."

"You look dashing in that suit." I comment, getting a side smile out of him. I love the way he smiles at me whenever I complement him. It's almost like he flushes, so flattered by my words.