(58)

After a steady walk down a few blocks, we end up at Dr. Milok's office who welcomes me with open arms. He engulfs me in a warm hug, one that makes me grunt in pain because of how tight he squeezes me.

Milok is a younger doctor who came from Russia. He was kind enough to be my doctor even though he had practicing in a hospital there. He ran a private practice for me, I'm sure Thomas had a lot to do with that. Milok was the best in the business for trauma patients, and I was a walking trauma! Well, not walking, not then at least. He had black hair and dark brown eyes, tall and handsome. Alan had a thick Russian accent, and he always mentioned how scary Thomas was even though the Russians can be scarier. It was funny, Alan made things easy for me. He broke everything down to me, told me what's going on and what's happened to my body since the accident. He has four children, a wife and a dog called Sam. They live in London, but are desperate to go back to Russia because that's where his family lives. He misses Russia, and wants his children to have the type of life he had.

Dr. Milok was responsible for helping me heal. He dressed my wounds, performed a few surgeries on me. He told me he'd take care of me, and he did just that. I owe Dr. Milok my life.

He shakes Thomas's hand, they exchange hellos. "Did I ever tell you that your husband is madly in love with you?" He asks, turning to me. "Emphasis on the madly."

I look at Thomas, and then look at Alan. "Huh?" Is there a joke between these two I don't know about?

"When you were sick, your husband never let anything go unnoticed when it came to your health. He made me show him all of my notes, he made sure I was qualified to practice medicine. He wanted the best for you. Always." Dr. Milok pulls down his glasses and meets my eyes. Winking, he adds, "He paid a hefty price for it too."

I laugh, Thomas Shelby frowns deeply. I wrap my arm around Tom's, "Well my husband does love me. Right?" I look up at him, he doesn't even smile at me. Oh Thomas. He can be so mean at times. My stomach is knotted in a tight ball of anxiety, his nervousness rolls onto me.

We're walking towards his office, Thomas laces his fingers through mine.

"You're doing well, Jade? You look well." Dr. Milok turns around, he looks a little worried, but masks it by walking again.

"Yes, I'm doing extremely well, thanks." I nod.

He mentions the way I walk, "When you left my office the first time you were in a wheelchair, remember that? Then, come three months ago, you were using a cane, and now you're walking without any help!" He smiles widely at me. "You should be very proud of yourself."

"I know. I'm seeing a physiotherapist."

"That is incredible, medicine is aging everyday. People are practicing holistic medicine now. Natural stuff is always better." We enter his office, I sit down and Thomas stands protectively beside me. "How can I help you today, Mrs. Shelby?" He closes the door behind him and stands opposite to us.

"Well." I lick my lips, my fingers curl into small fists. Here it comes, "I might be pregnant, doctor."

His eyes widen, and he smiles wide at us. "Wow! Amazing! Let find out. Are you feeling any sympotoms?"

"Ummm, not really."

"Are you bleeding?"

"Yes." To be fair, it's on and off. "It's on and off."

"Since when?"

"Um." My cheeks become hot. "Wednesday."

"When was the last time you menstruated?"

I flush, shit. I don't know. "Maybe four months ago." I become alarmed thinking about the blood I saw in the shower. "But doctor, I was bleeding a little in the shower."

"Did you put on a pad?" He asks.

Again, my cheeks heat. "Yes."

"Did blood fill the pad?"

"No."

"Discharge of blood from the vagina is normal for a pregnant woman." He taps his chin, "Do you feel more sluggish, any swelling in the breasts, vivid dreams?"

"Mmmm, no." I go mute. I mean, I don't think so.

"Okay. I'll be right back with a bottle I'll need you to urinate in, okay?"

I swallow, "Okay."

When Milok leaves I look up at Thomas who glances down at me as a result of me looking up. He seems frustrated, I frown.

"What is it?" I ask.

"He likes you."

"I like him too." I reply.

He combs a hand through his hair, "I mean he likes you in more than in a professional or even friendly way."

"Who, Milok?" Oh Thomas. "No he doesn't!"

"He looks at you like you're a saint."

"That's because I am one." I simply respond, my nose up in the air.

"I don't like it." He hoarse.

"What are you going to do? Blind him?" I dismissively roll my eyes.

He smirks and alarm flashes across my face.

"Thomas!" I hiss.

The doctor comes back with a small empty bottle. I stand up, and nervously take the bottle once he hands it to me.

"If you will please urinate in this cup, give it to Yelena at the front desk. We'll get this sorted out very quickly." He smiles kindly at me, Thomas puts his arm around me. Dr. Milok clears his throat. "Then you two will find out if you are pregnant or not."

Huh. I had no idea urine was the ultimate answer to determining if one was pregnant or not. I walk to the bathroom and do as I'm told. I retreat back to the room after dropping off my pee with his secretary. She a sweet lady, with the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. A rich hazel.

"That was fast." Thomas smiles at me when I pop open the door.

I'm relieved to see he's in the room alone.

"Well, it wasn't the first time I had to pee in a cup." I tell him, thinking about all of the different test I had to complete because of my injuries.

I sit down where I once was and glance up at Thomas who is tapping his foot impatiently. He's looks at his pocket watch.

"You okay?" I ask curiously.

"I need a smoke." He lets out a frustrated sigh.

I frown, my eyebrows furrowed. "I don't like that you're jealous. You have nothing to be jealous about."

Jealously doesn't suit the confident Thomas Shelby very well. As a matter of fact, I reckon it tarnishes his image.

He laughs. "I'm not. I know what's mine." He playfully smiles at me. "What I don't like is men staring at you."

"Well," I roll my eyes. "That doesn't make your life very easy, does it?"

He scoffs and I feel superior for once. Hm, did he feel like this when I sulking to him about Lizzie? Knowing Thomas and his various complexes, probably.

"—When I said blind him, and you smiled, was that a smile like 'no honey I would never blind him'? Or was it smile like 'of course I'm going to blind him, Jade'?"

"I'm not going to blind him, Jade. The man saved your life." He says in an annoyed voice.

I flush. "Thank God."