(56)

I was sat at the foot of the bed when I heard the water from the sink stop.

My skin crawls the second he opens the door, Tommy's got nothing on but a towel around his hips. He looks so fine, for a moment I forget that I'm angry with him.

"I was thinking, perhaps we can go back to Hampshire, you liked it there-"

I raise my head, meeting his eyes. In my hand is the opium, and I desperately want to throw it at him. He freezes once he sees how serious I am.

"–What's wrong?" He turns pale.

I shake my head, my heart stills. My blood boils. I want to cry, and scream. "Do I know you at all, Thomas?"

"What?"

I get up and toss the vile at him. He catches it and looks at it before looking back up at me. Thomas goes from being confused, to livid.

His eyebrows are furrowed, "Why have you been doing going through my pockets? Ey?"

I blink at him, astonished by his words.

Well, when you lay your shit on the ground...

He continues, "Is this because of what happened in Birmingham? Are you that fuckin' insure about our marriage that you're snooping through my shit?"

You fucking dick.

"It's like you're two different people!" I shout, "The happy husband, with me, and the fascist gangster with the rest of the world." You always say how you want me healthy, and yet this is what you do? You take opium?!

"What are you talking about?" He blinks, and his frown deepens.

"Ada told me all the shit you've been up to. And no, I didn't go into your pockets because of Lizzie, you idiot."

He narrows his eyes, I continue.

"Ada said you had a queer man murdered."

Thomas's clenches his jaw. "What else has Ada said to you?" He snarls, walking towards his closet. "Ey? Did she tell you that me job isn't as easy as it's made to be. That there are constantly people trying to tear me down?"

"Don't, Thomas." I wrap my arms around myself, "Don't try to play the victim."

Thomas runs his hands through his wet hair, with anger in his eyes. "I try with you, Jade, I really fucking try."

"Try?" I glare back at him. "You never tell me anything!"

He changes, pushing his bare legs into his trousers. "That's because I want to keep you in the dark. I don't want you to look at me the way the rest of 'em look at me. Like I'm the devil himself."

I shake head, confused by what he's saying.

His eyes get darker, "Grace knew everything, Lizzie knew everything. They had a fear in their eyes. Like they knew they could die at any second with me by their side. I lost Grace, woulda lost too Lizzie if stayed with her." Defeated, Tommy's eyes fill with water.

"I didn't tell you anything, because I didn't to want to ever scare you or make you think you're in harms way with me." He shrugs weakly.

"Well maybe you should talk to me about these things, rather than keeping me in the dark. This is how problems arise Thomas."

"But," He smiles small at me. "When I come home, and it's just the two of us, I forget everything."

Awwwwwwww.

"Come on." He extends a hand and I reluctantly take it. We sit on the bed, I swallow as he runs his hands over his face. There's distance between us, I don't like it.