(55)

I caress his cheek, and he opens his eyes, watching me sleepily through those long lashes. Leaning forward I plant a soft, chaste kiss on his lips. "Good morning sleepy boy." I whisper, getting lost in his beautiful features.

He smiles, closes his eyes, and breathes out a sigh of utter contentment. "Morning,"

Thomas props himself up on his elbow. His eyes follow me.

"Did you sleep well?" I chirp, excited about today.

Oh how times have changed. Before, it was him who woke me up and caressed my cheeks. It was him who asked if I slept well, as he walked towards the window to pull apart the curtains. I've healed, and God it feels good.

"Exceptionally well." His voice is dark with the memory of last night.

"Hm. Wonder why." I take apart the curtains after my little remark. "Today, I hope, will be a good day."

"Why's that, Mrs. Shelby?"

"Well, Maggie is coming over." I state. "You should go to work. Let me be home, with her."

Thomas hesitates, "I prefer working from home."

"You said it yourself, you're too stern with me. Go, have fun at work."

"I don't like idea of leaving you alone."

"I'll be fine." I whisper, coming back to him. I lean down and kiss him again, this time pushing my hair around my face to freely make out with my husband.

Thomas's hands slide down my hips to the end of my nightgown. He, very slowly, lifts it up to gain access to more skin. "Promise me?" He says against my kisses.

I bring the dress up around my hips and straddle him in bed. "I." I kiss his lips. "Promise."

Thomas moans before pinning me to the bed....

He enters the kitchen freshly showered, his hair damp, wearing a crisp white shirt and fine black tie. Tommy's got his blazer and coat on, but he doesn't leave without taking a playful bite out of my toast.

"Maggie's coming over soon." He tells me, mouth full. "I've got Roger to pick her up, and drop her off. He'll be outside guarding the house so don't be alarmed if you see a black car lurking,"

Roger is one of the many men under Tommy's payroll responsible for the safety of us if anything goes astray. Roger, among five others, lived with us when we first moved to London.

"That's good. And I see you're going to work." My eyes lighten up.

He nods, and sits down on a chair. "Indeed. I'm a bit uncomfortable with it, but, I do as my wife suggests."

"I'm glad."

He reaches down, smoothes my hair around my face and tucks it behind my ear. "I love you. Be good. Phone me office if you need me, alright?"

"Okay." I kiss him tenderly, I lift my head that first in his hands. "Have a good day."

We cling onto each other until he finally walks away. I watch as our fingers unlace, the tips barely touch before he's gone. My face falls flat and I rest my head on the dining room table, the house, all to myself.

My eyes shut, and I sigh deeply. My body begs me for sleep, and for second, I tell myself to just allow the sleep to consume me — here, on the dining room table. But I am quickly awoken by the soft knocks on the door.

I make my way to the front door, "Who is it?" I ask.

I blanch at the thought of a stranger being at the door. My mind races, I can't call Tommy's office because he isn't at work yet. And I don't know where any of his weapons are here. I panic, feeling my heart thump in my chest. My hands get sweaty, I was about to ask who it was again, before finally.