Into the Wastes

Away from the city, in the Wastes...

"Well, Adalet, here we are. This place is truly the end of the world," Amy breathed, watching the landscape as Adalet drove the van beyond the entrance gate, "the others didn't exaggerate! I'm glad we have these suits to protect us!"

"How long has this place been so... Barren?" Adalet inquired, noticing a busted pipe spewing neon green goo up ahead.

"The region has been locked down for years. Between the extreme pollution and the vicious sandstorms, only madmen would come here," she replies, "and I guess that's why it's the perfect place for Frank and Karen to hide!"

Adalet slowed to a stop and parked the van beside The Wastes No Entry sign, "well, the beginning is a great place to start, so we should start looking here for clues."

Amy nods in agreement, "let's go!"

Adalet and Amy got out of the van and were immediately hit by the stifling heat of the Wastes. Walking to the front of the van they looked around the entrance of the district for any signs of Frank and Karen. There was no sign of the fugitives, but there was a dead body in their line of sight. Lying on the side of the road was a young man's body who looked to have dragged himself out of the neon green puddle Adalet had noticed earlier. A few yards up the road they spotted a weathered plastic trash can rolling from side to side in the wind.

"Oh no, Adalet! There's a dead man here!" Amy gasped, "it looks as if he tried to crawl away from that puddle of green liquid, seeping from that broken pipe..."

Adalet knelt to get a better look at the man's face, "we know this man! It's David Rosenberg, the tech genius from Innovation Valley!"

"But... the Wastes are a lawless, lifeless place... What was David doing here?!" she wondered, "Adalet, what's going on? First, Frank and Karen run away, and then we stumble upon an old acquaintance, dead... This can't be a coincidence, right?"

"Even if it is, it's certainly suspicious!" she agrees, going to grab the trash can she noticed, "but one things for sure, this is another murder! Whether Karen or Frank have something to do with it is yet to be determined..."

"You want to start by searching through that trash can? Alright, let's take shelter in the van an-"

"Hey, you two!" the women whipped around to see Andy Pascal running towards them, "what are you doing here? There's a sandstorm coming, you fools! Find shelter!"

"Hands up! Don't move!" Amy ordered, training her gun on the man, "who are you and what are you doing in the Wastes?"

"Whoa, cool down..." Andy cried, holding his hands up as Adalet hurried over carrying the trash can, "hey, I know you! You're Capt. Adalet! You solved the murder of my niece, Peggy, back in Jazz Town!"

"Andy Pascal," Adalet recalled the storm-chaser, "well, we'll need to have a word with you!"

"What brings you to the Wastes, Mr. Pascal?" Amy inquired, putting her gun away, "don't you know it's a forbidden area?"

"I'm here to film the nuclear sandstorm. You MUST seek shelter now!" Andy explained, repeating his original order with the utmost urgency.

"A nuclear sandstorm?! Is it as dangerous as it sounds?" Adalet asked.

"It is!" he confirmed, "the atmosphere here is full of radioactive particles! If the hurricane-force wind doesn't blow your head off, you'll die of exposure to radiation!"

"Even if what you say is true, I think we're more prepared for a storm than you are," she argued, eyeing the man's raincoat and camo bandana.

"Ha! If you're talking about the suits, they won't protect you forever!" he countered.