Let Him Go.

Sabrina Grimm walked her way to school alone. Every step was long and painful. 

It was her first day of high school, and you'd think she would be excited, skipping happily her merry way but she wasn't. It had been 3 years since she'd seen Puck and she was so sure that he'd be there with her when she- no- they both started their first day of high school. But yet here she was walking along the dirt path leaving behind where Granny Relda cooked breakfast for Daphne and Basil who didn't have to go to school for another hour. 

With a sigh, she continued to trudge along the narrow lane finally reaching her destination. 

As she entered the school, her dirt-covered sneakers left behind a trail of filth on the newly polished tiles of the corridor. Around her stood portraits on the walls of high achieving athletes and musicians and students of academic excellence. Not a single on the wall for being an amazing sleuth, solving some of a fairytale's greatest mysteries, or surviving an attack of Baba Yaga. As Sabrina stuffed her new binders, papers, and backpack into her locker, she only grabbed the books she needed and rushed to her classroom under the sound of the bell. 

In the room, she was greeted by her new English teacher, Mr.Smith, and was directed to her new seat. Could this day get any duller?  She thought.

Once in her seat, Mr.Smith started his class, "Welcome new students to English Language Arts, for our first class we're going to get started right away with Shakespeare. The first story- sorry PLAY- we'll read today is A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare who I'm sure all of you are familiar with. Please open your textbooks to page 54." 

-30 minutes later-

"So class, what did you get from this story? Can anyone tell me what it's based on?" He asked. 

A girl in the back with brown pigtails raised her hand. 

"Yes! In the back, what's your name?" 

"My name is Stacy, sir,  and this story is clearly based on the ancient figure of Puck found in English mythology. He's a clever, mischevious fairy that acts as a jest, and is quite the trickster," the girl answered.

"Very good!" Mr.Smith added, "Yes this story is based on Puck as Stacy explained-oh yes- Sabrina is it?" 

"Sir, I need to use the bathroom, I'm not feeling so well," Sabrina said legitimately feeling nauseous, she didn't know it had gotten to the point of missing her best friend so much that she couldn't even hear his name without getting a churning feeling in her stomach, she needed to let him go, and she knew he was never coming back. 

"Okay.. head to the nurse's office then if you still don't feel well, and take a pass please,"  the teacher responded.

Getting up quickly and covering her mouth, Sabrina headed to the bathroom with a pass, into a stall and threw up. After that, she knew she'd have to go home. Rushing back into the classroom, she returned the pass and grabbed her stuff. Nobody asked a single question, whether it was her now green-tinted face or terrible stench. 

In the nurse's office, the kind lady known as Mrs.Jackson helped Sabrina onto one of the beds and gave her a cup of water. 

"Just stay here, I'll call your family," the woman said kindly. 

Sabrina put her head back against the pillow and didn't make a sound. She felt awful and wanted desperately to take a shower or wash up but she was left on a hard cushion in the middle of a plain, gray-painted room. The only thing she could think about was Puck, always putting her in the worst situations even when he wasn't there, yet she still loved him. As a friend or a brother, or her one true love she hadn't decided but she knew she loved him. Let him go, she thought, he's never coming back, just let him go. Yet, she understood no matter how much she wanted him back, she couldn't go home, or to the bathroom stall to barf every time somebody mentioned his name.