Chapter 13: Au revoir

I went to bed still thinking about what Taron had told me. Why would Emily come to the gala, too? I thought she would be busy working or whatever. I had actually been looking forward to Taron and me spending some time together and I felt like Emily hated me. Why though? I was really no competition to her. She was gorgeous, rich and with Taron. In comparison to her I looked like a loser.

I was tossing and turning all night, thinking about what had happened in San Diego. We were only friends, right? We had discussed that. However I wasn't sure I could be ever be just friends. I was falling for him hard, if I wasn't in love with him already. Maybe we should just go back to being professionals, having a business relationship only. I couldn't sleep a wink so I decided to put my headphones on and listen to some music. I'm Still Standing started playing and I smiled. If Taron wasn't with me physically, I could at least be with him emotionally.

You could never know what it's like
Your blood like winter freezes just like ice
And there's a cold lonely light that shines from you
You'll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use

And did you think this fool could never win
Well look at me, I'm coming back again
I got a taste of love in a simple way
And if you need to know while I'm still standing you just fade away

Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah

Once I never could hope to win
You starting down the road leaving me again
The threats you made were meant to cut me down
And if our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now

You know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I woke up the following day and felt as if I hadn't slept at all. This kind of insomnia was new to me. I could normally sleep through a tornado. Taron was really starting to mess with my head. I huffed. He had for years, in my dreams.

The positive thing was that my friend Diana was with me. We had actually planned to go to Cambridge today. I smiled. I was so glad to have her here with me.

I got dressed and went into the office to get some work done before our train to Cambridge would leave. I decided to book an Economy Class plane ticket for me, so Taron and Emily could have seats next to each other in Business Class tomorrow. It was a short flight anyway. I also phoned Andrew regarding all upcoming events, but things seemed to quiet down a bit after the AIDS gala held by Elton. I still couldn't believe I would be going to that.

I decided to go look for Taron to go over some interview requests with him. I found him in the living room, reading the Kingsman script.

"Hi there" I said walking in.

He turned around "Hi"

Were things awkward between us? "I would love to go over some interview requests with you if you're free" I was all professional.

"Sure" he said and tapped on the couch next to him.

Urgh, not that again. I went over and sat down next to him. We were too close.

"So" I tried to concentrate "There are different interview requests coming in, such as a kitten interview, reading mean tweets or Whose Line is it Anyway." I paused "Also fans would really love if you attended a convention in Europe. I have actually checked that already and there is one in Paris and one in Frankfurt, Germany."