TWO

Winifred looked around and surveyed the big drawing room.

It wasn't particularly what she'd expected, it was beyond her expectation, but still, she wasn't impressed. But then again, nothing about Roderick actually impressed her.

She crossed the big parlor with it's mosaic floor and walked through a wide door leading to the dinning room. The dinning was a great hall, sparkling with flames in the massive light of dozens of white candles.

The dinning table was large enough to accommodate twelve people. The atmosphere was well decorated and comfortable, but it didn't reduce her dislike for the owner of the mansion. It was a nice place to share an exquisitely prepared meal with interesting people. Interesting people that didn't involve Roderick and his annoying son, Travis.

She walked towards the massive fridge that stood at the extreme by the side of the large table in the dinning room. She wondered the sort of expensive snacks and drinks they had stored in the fridge. She hadn't had lunch yet and her stomach was beginning to grumble.

She stopped in front of the fridge and was about to throw it open when -

"There you are!"

She flung round and felt irritated almost immediately as her eyes met that of Roderick's, the man that had just recently become her father. Even as the dinning room was a long and large one, and he was standing majestically at the other end of the room, she could still clearly see his wide grin as his very white set of teeth became exposed for her to see, considering the distance between them.

Ugh! She hated that he was very healthy and wealthy. And she also hated that he was extremely handsome. But most especially, she hated that her mother had fallen for his ridiculous charms. Now, all Winifred wanted to do was to rub that smug look off of his smug face as he approached her with a smile that reached his eyes.

"Here I am," she confirmed for him as she threw her arms across her chest with a frown.

"I see you're taking a liking to your new home already," he said, stopping right in front of her.

"Maybe," she shrugged.

"And I believe that Travis and Beatrice have shown you to your new room," he asked, obviously ignoring her lack of interest in starting a conversation with him.

She nodded.

"Have you settled in?"

Another nod.

"Hope you like it."

She finally gave in. "It's a bit too much for me. It's too big and the bed is a bit too large and -"

He chuckled. "Nothing should ever be too much for you."

"- and the color on the wall is way too girlish for my liking," she continued as though he hadn't spoken. "You should have asked my opinion on the color. I'm not really a fan of pink."

"I thought most girls like pink," came his reply. And his damn smile was still intact.

"I'm not most girls." Winifred scowled as she held the urge to punch him on the face to kill that ugly smile.

He laughed.

She wondered why he always did that so very often, even when it wasn't necessary.

Although the sound of his laugh could attract women to swoon all over him, including his charming smile, that still didn't charm Winifred.

"Where's my mom?" She asked when his silly laugh had died off.

He smiled lovingly as the subject was brought to Bridget.

There was no denying the love he had for her mom. But it still didn't reduce her dislike for the man. She just didn't know why, but she didn't like him.

He was way too perfect for her liking. It was strange.

No one should be perfect, but somehow this man had managed to exhibit all the necessary qualities of a man.

He had a strong fine handsome feature. No wonder she wasn't so surprised that her mother was drawn to him.

Over the years, there'd been a good amount of suitors courting her mom, but non had lasted. Either her mom told them it couldn't continue, or they'd told her they quit. Well, Winifred wouldn't deny the fact that she'd somehow had a hand in some of them giving up.

Ever since her dad's death, she hadn't been prepared to allow another man step forward and claim the role of her father.

Until now.

And she still wasn't prepared to accept Roderick as her father. Her mom knew that. Even he knew that. But Bridget had accepted him as her husband after what? Four months of getting to know him and going out with him. And he'd proposed to her on the fifth month, and they'd gotten married almost immediately. Bravo Bridget!

Winifred stared at Roderick as he smiled, still savouring in the thought of her mom.

"She fell in love with the house almost immediately and thought it wise to look around," he finally replied. "I just hope she doesn't get lost," he said and then laughed at his own boring joke.

Winifred was beginning to wonder if this was a habit he possessed every once in a minute.

Seeming to realize that she didn't find any humor in what he said, his laugh died off.

Stretching to his full height, he cleared his throat. "Uh...did you want to get something from the fridge?" He asked, gesturing at the fridge behind her

"Um-no," she lied.

"You should be hungry. You didn't have lunch." His face was a mask of concern as he walked past her, reaching for the fridge.

"I'm fine, Roderick," she flung round and held him on his forearm to stop him from opening the fridge.

They both paused and looked down at her hand that rested on his.

She dropped her hand in embarrassment and faught the urge to wipe away the feel of his arm on her palm even though he looked exceedingly clean and tidy.

Winifred stepped back from him as she recalled the first day her mother had introduced her to Roderick. He'd given her a handshake which she'd accepted reluctantly. This was four months ago, and it had been the only physical contact she'd ever had with him. Until now.

If felt weird, touching someone she didn't like.

She stepped back from him again. She noticed the disappointed and hurt look on his face.

"I'll be going to my room now," she said, trying to avoid his eyes.

There was no denying the fact that he was aware of her distaste for him. He'd tried all his charms on her. He'd tried pleasing her. He'd tried impressing her. He'd also been extremely nice and caring towards her, but in return, she'd rewarded him with dislike and ungratefulness. And yet, she felt guilty of nothing for him.

Instead, she felt guilty for her dad. It almost seemed like she was cheating on him by letting Roderick claim her as his daughter. She didn't want that. She didn't want any of this. Why did her dad have to leave her so soon? Now she had to deal with a new family she didn't want.

She turned and walked away from Roderick's presence, not wanting to spend another minute with him.

She could feel his gaze following her as she swiftly crossed the hall and practically ran out of the room.

She didn't know how her life was going to look like now that it appeared she was starting afresh with her new family, but she had to be prepared for whatever was to come.