XXXV

B E Y O N C É
C H A P T E R 35
Thursday, January 3
~~~~

"You can't call in sick today?" I asked Jay as I laid wrapped in his arms. All the kids had gone off to school so that left me and Jay alone. The only downside was that he had to be at work in an hour.

"I'm gonna need for you to make up your mind, do you want me to work legally or be a drug dealer?"

"If you're a drug dealer would you be able to call in sick so you can lay with me?" I asked.

He laughed, "I'm not about to play with you."

"I don't want you to go."

"I know but I get off at five and as soon as I do I will come straight here," he reassured me.

"Ugh! Fine, you're lucky I have errands to run."

"What kind of errands?"

"I have to go meet with my mother for starters, she keeps harassing me. Then I have to go grocery shopping because there ain't no food here and because Halle has this meal plan she has to follow and — did I tell you Keith got his girlfriend pregnant?" I asked getting off track.

"You serious?"

"Yes and the girl bitch ass parents cut her off so now she don't got nowhere to stay and I can't have my grandbaby living on the streets. It's like I'm running some kind of sweatshop."

He laughed, "if that's the case this is probably the most luxurious sweatshop known to man."

"Don't be funny, anyways back to my errands. I also have to get everything for Blue's party."

"Speaking of that, I'm not coming," he said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"It's a kids' party, Beyoncé. A New Years' party, ok I'll go, even though I didn't show up but a kids' birthday party, fuck no. You tryna get my ass sent back to jail."

"I totally forgot," I laughed, "and I did invite her entire class and dance team, and the kids from my mom's church. What am I gonna tell her?"

"It's ok, I'll talk to her, we can do something on her birthday since the party is that weekend. I'll get her whatever her heart desires," he suggested.

"Yeah, I'm sure she'll love that."

"It's time for me to go now," he said getting up from behind me.

"No, don't go," I whined grabbing him by his arm.

"You are a child," he laughed getting out of my grip.

"You get on my damn nerves," I said angrily as I watched him get dressed.

"But you love me," he smiled.

"I change my mind," I pouted.

He laughed, "Ok, Beyoncé."

"You're coming back after you get off right?" I asked to make sure.

"I told you I was."