Chapter 15, Joining the team

This past week, colton and Landon have been pushing the team to do well in the Championships game this Saturday. Even Shawn has been hanging out less with me so he can focus all his energy to well in the game. I was sitting in my room when i heard a faint knock on door. 

"come in!" I shouted, looking up from a book i was reading.

"Kara we need to talk." Lilly walked in with Ryan right behind her, they sat on my bed.

"Whats up?" as i placed my book down to give both of them my full attention. 

"Ryan can't make it to the game since his family will be out of town on that day. And he has no way to get back in time. So what should Ryan tell the guys?" Lilly said looking depressed about this situation. 

"I don't know Ryan. Have you told the coach you will be gone?

"No i haven't, I just found out last night." Ryan said holding Lilly's hand in his.

"Ok, so tell coach you won't make it." 

"I can't. I don't want to let the team down!" Ryan said.

"I don't know what to say to help you." I said running a million things in my head to figure it out but can't get one stupid idea to stay.

"I know!! Kara, why don't you wear Ryan's gear and play as him?!" Lilly said cheerfully.

"Yeah, that could work. You have to wear a helmet anyways and nobody will know." Ryan added in.

"Guys it sounds like a good plan, but my brothers and Shawn wouldn't like it." I said.

"They don't have to know! Just tell them your going to my house before the game to get ready and then you will change into Ryan's gear and presto your on the team." Lilly said jumping up and down. I knew a lot about the rules and the game from watching and playing a bit with my brothers, so maybe it could work. 

We had made it to the Lacrosse champions for Oregon. The best teams play each other for a trophy to see who will come out on top. Everyone was excited and i was nervous. I couldn't believe i was actually going to go through with this. Colton, Landon, and Shawn had no idea what Ryan and I talked about a few days ago before the game. Ryan desperately wanted to be here but him and his family were out of town of the game. So i made a deal with him, I will wear his jersey and act like him in the game so everybody will think that he was actually there and didn't let the team down.  

And here i was, standing on the field in his uniform padded up ready to go. My brothers should never find out that i am doing this or they will kill me. But I'm doing this for Lilly and Ryan. They need me to do it even though it's dangerous. 

"Okay guys work hard and score some goals!" Landon said to everyone before we took our positions. I was nervous about the game. All the guys were bigger and stronger than me. I took a breathe and i did my best to defend our goal. I tried my hardest to act like a guy but it was really hard. The guy i was going against pushed me but i tripped him as he ran by. No way is a guy going to hurt me in this game.

It was the second half and our team was tied with 2-2. It was a really tough game but I was having the time of my life. Shawn made it look so easy trying to make a goal. He made the first goal while colton made the second. My brothers and Shawn were really good at the sport. I was knocked out of my thoughts when the guy i was guarding spoke.

"Dude your team sucks balls!" I didn't want to speak, cause then it would just ruin everything. So instead i punched him in the arm. The game was almost over with 10 seconds left on the clock. Shawn had the ball and passed it to Colton who scored it in the last second. We won!! We won the championships!! I ran in with the whole team and cheered with them. The coach gave us a champion talk and then had our photo taken for the newspaper, I kept my helmet on but stayed in the back. Once we finished i grabbed my stuff and headed to the bathroom to meet up with Lilly to change out of my gear. 

"Hey Ryan, Why you leaving? Tom is throwing a party at his house lets go!" Dylan shouted running up to me. I looked at him with the deepest guy voice i could do.

"Don't worry man I just want to kiss Lilly really quick."

Dylan caught up to me and grabbed my shoulder. I tried to shake him off but it was useless.

"Dude why are you still wearing your helmet? Take it off." He said yanking at my helmet. His strength was stronger than mine. My hair flew in the air as the wind blew, Dylan was shocked that I wasn't a guy or that Ryan was a girl. I look up to see my brothers and Shawn pissed at me.

"What the hell kara?! what are you doing?" Landon asked grabbing my arm.

"Just filling in for Ryan guys." I said trying to pull my arm away.

"Filling in? Where is Ryan?!" Colton asked stepping closer to me.

"Ryan couldn't make it, he's out of town with his family." I yelled back at them.

"So why didn't he just say something instead of our stupid sister putting herself in danger!" Landon said.

"Ryan didn't want to disappoint you guys. Plus it was his idea to do this anyways."

"So? you should have declined Kara! You know you could've been hurt or worse!" Shawn said. He looked disappointed in me for doing such a thing.

"I'm sorry i just wanted to help out a friend. Plus i didn't get hurt! Why can't you guys see this?!!" I asked.

"It doesn't matter Kara! We look out for you because we care. You doing this was completely stupid of you. You are grounded from your phone!" Landon said grabbing for my arm. I pulled my arm away and made a run for it down the street.