Chapter 24

Mayleen's POV:

"Oh, I can't believe it's already my last day here." My mom said sitting on my bed. It was early morning. 7am to be exact. I stretched, and sat up on the bed. She had sadness in her eyes. Which made me sad.

"Hey, hey, you can always come and visit." I said putting my hand on her arm. I smiled at her, hoping that she'll cheer up.

"Oh I wish honey, but we both know I can't. Working at a supermarket, and being a nanny, doesn't exactly give you a lot of money." She said sniffing.

"Well, I'll try to visit sometimes."

"No. Its better for you to spend your money on that online learning of yours. Maybe you can get a better job. Until you get that better job, you cannot spend a penny on trying to visit me. Understand?" She said looking straight at me.

"Yes mother." I agreed. She looked at me, and her frown became a smile. "You know mom.. I did get a better job.." I said with a big grin on my face.

She looked at me wide eyes. "Really? You're not a waitress anymore?" She said, sounding astonished.

I nodded. "I'm the assistant of Zachary Roberto. I guess those online classes do pay off" Before she can say a word, I added. "Long story." She nodded in reply.

"You know you have always been a good daughter. I couldn't ask for anything more." She said putting her other hand on my face. I'm really glad my mom's happy. That made me happy.

"You have always been the apple of my eyes."

"I know mom, you told me that a thousand times." I said laughing a bit, to brighten the mood. She also laughed, but then stopped.

"You know your father." She said after a brief moment. "We were once almost a family. When I told him I was pregnant, he promised to always stand by me no matter what. We got married a week after that. He wasn't always the husband of the year. We had our ups and downs, but we always manage to make it work. He tried, he really did, he cleaned up. Started to work at an auto repair, I was a bartender. We made enough money to support the family. I actually thought it would all work out and we would be living happily ever after together. But then one day he started to act weird. He would come home late, most of the time drunk. He would hit things, and get angry, but he would never lay a finger on me. Everytime I came to him and ask what's wrong, all the anger in his eyes vanished. He told me it was nothing and told me to go to sleep. When I did go to bed, he started arguing by himself again. I got worried, not for me, but for him. Then one day he told me he can't do it anymore. He left just like that, without saying goodbye or why. I tried to contact him, but he was unreachable. I never saw him again after that.." She said with tears strolling down her cheeks. It looked like she was more talking to herself then to me.

For why she keeps on having this talk about father, I have no idea. It's like one moment she's fine and talking about something, and the next her mood would go down and she would start talking about father again. It has been happening since I can remember. I never interrupted her or ask why she keeps on doing it. I just listened.

I don't hate my father. But I don't exactly like him either. Leaving us like that is unfair.

"Mom hey, what's done is done, that was the past, we have to look towards-"

"The future." My mom cutted me off. I nodded. "Just like what you always tell me." She said. I wiped her tears.

"Hey this is your last day here, let's go have fun." I said smiling. She smiled too. "Lets."
*****************************

Charlie's POV:

"Booyaa! I win again!" Brandon said raising his fists in the air in victory.

"Dude I have been studying this game for 5 days in a row, practicing it over and over again, and you still win?!" I said shocked.

"Brother you may beat me in school studies, but in video games I'm the master. Although in martial arts we're equal. It's either me who kicks your sorry ass or you who kick mines." He said putting his feet up on the coffee table and resting his hands behind his head, leaning back on the sofa.

"Hey we're like twins. Wow if you make me think about it, being a twin with you? Wow that is scary." I said shivering jokingly.

"Shut up." He shoved me. "Rematch?" He said raising an eyebrow.

"Rematch." I said, a smirk forming on my lips.

Just as we were about to start the game my phone buzzed.

"Wait I need to get this." I said grabbing my phone from the table. Britt.

"Who is it?" Brandon asked.

"It's Brit, shush." I said answering the phone. I can see from the corner of my eyes, that he was rolling his eyes.

"Hey Britt, what- what's up?" I stuttered. Why am I so nervous? Come on Charlie, act cool.

"Hey, I'm a bit disappointed." She said over the phone.

"Why?" I asked.

"Never liked that chick." Brandon mumbled while playing video games. I waved my hand at him to shut up.

"Because you never called." She said.

"Oh, right, I'm sorry I've been busy lately with school that I forgot." I said back, rubbing my neck with my hand.

"Well to make it up to me, tomorrow coffee at 7ish pm?"

"Sure, sure, of course." I stuttered again. Damn it.

"Great then. Talk to you tomorrow night." She said before hanging up.

I smiled. I'm going to see her tomorrow night. This is my chance to get her back.

"Hey smiley boy, quit smiling there like an idiot, and challange me to this game." Brandon yelled from his sit. I rolled my eyes, and went back to sit next to him.

"Ok, rematch time." He said, before we started playing the game.